First Traditional Cider -- Fermentation Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hasso

Reaction score
I've tried messing around with ciders every now and then using desert apples. Recently, I found a local orchard with traditional Cider apples, an picked 140 pounds of of apples. Varieties used were Kingston Black, Brown Snout, Ashmead's Kernel, Kermerien, and Frequin Rouge, in a ratio of 1:1:1:2:1. This yielded about 4.5 gallons of juice, at ~4.0 Ph, and 1.050 SG. See pictures. This was does with two campden tablets, yeast nutrient, and Lalvin D47. Juice was allowed to stand after being dosed with Campden, and the yeast pitched afterwards. I saw very little obvious activity over the next few days, and so stuck it into a dark cool corner until this evening, when I racked it into another fermenter. The current gravity is about 1.000, and it has a vague odor of vinegar. I found out later than campden tablets are meant to be added at higher ratios than expected (I can't defend misreading the directions that badly). I really am unsure about this batch, or if it's even safe to drink at this point, given that the amount of campden was manifestly insufficient, and the PH was above the norm. Any thoughts on process fixes or how to move on with this? Dump it? Let it rest and carbonate it -- thoughts?

Attachments

• Ph.jpg
    Ph.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 9
  • SG.jpg
    SG.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 12
  • FG.jpg
    FG.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 12
Looks like it is done. I would let it clarify and see how it tastes after a few weeks to a month. Then consider the following.

I would think you degassed it ok when racking but might want to gently stir it again and let it clear. I suspect D47 would have out performed anything left after the campden.

What temp did you ferment at? If too warm 68 or better D47 will go pretty quickly and could add some off flavors. The good news is they will age out.

Your pH is a little high for my liking. Consider adding some acid after it clarifys. See the link for some additional info. ( Acid adjustment will help a lot.)
https://beerbrew.com/adjusting-finished-cider-1/

The first time I tried making hard cider, I thought that it smelled like vinegar after a few weeks. I racked it and bulk aged it for about 5 months, then bottled it. After 2-3 months in the bottles it tasted pretty good. So my suggestion is to give it some time.

I agree with bringing the pH down to around 3.5 or so. Once it has bulk aged for several months you can decide how to finish it. I prefer my ciders to be slightly back sweetened and carbonated. A touch of sweetness helps bring out the apple flavor. But different people have different preferences.

Back