First timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landyman

Reaction score
Ok so I got a few bits and bobs today to start my first brew, can anyone else tell me what else I need and a good, simple recipe?

What I already have is:

A 23 litre bucket
23 litre pressure barrel
Stirring spoon
1 tub steriliser
1kg brewing sugar
500g spray malt light

Thanks, Landyman

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Oh I also have, Gervin English ale yeast, beer finings and yeast nutrient. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393531523.387527.jpg

Auto siphon or racking cane and tube are very helpful.
A hydrometer and test tube are a must.
A thermometer that goes up to boiling temps.
Bottling cane/wand.
Some sort of brew kettle.
Wort chiller.

That's some basic equipment off the top of my head.

As for a recipe do you have a local home brew shop you can browse around? Most have a lot of premade kits. Otherwise hit up the recipe section and find one that suits your taste. My only suggestion is go for an average abv beer to start with and something that doesn't require a lot of aging. A basic ale would probably be a good starting point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I would recommend starting out with a few kit beers to get the techniques down.
What part of the world are you in?

You will also need a hydrometer and auto siphon. Starsan is a very good no rinse sanitizer.

Thanks guys, I'm in Nottingham, UK and have a home brew shop pretty local, I'll visit them tomorrow and get the rest of the stuff.

Is there any recipe that you know of which use the few ingredients I have, plus what ever else I need?

Thanks guys, I'm in Nottingham, UK and have a home brew shop pretty local, I'll visit them tomorrow and get the rest of the stuff.

Is there any recipe that you know of which use the few ingredients I have, plus what ever else I need?

I would start with Muntons Premium Gold Range or Premium Canada Range kits. Which ever of those styles is comparable to the best pub offering you enjoy.
These two style of kits include premium yeast.

Check out Muntons site for more information. Their FAQ search is a bit hard to maneuver through though.

I went to my local shop today and went with a coopers Australian lager kit, not sure if that's a good thing or not?

I've set it all but shouldn't the bucket have some kind of air vent in the lid? To stop it blowing up?

Thanks, Landyman

I went to my local shop today and went with a coopers Australian lager kit, not sure if that's a good thing or not?

I've set it all but shouldn't the bucket have some kind of air vent in the lid? To stop it blowing up?

Thanks, Landyman

Do you have a way to ferment at cold temps (7-10 deg C)? Lager yeast prefer a much cooler temp than Ale yeast. If so, you will also need to clear a space in your fridge after fermentation if you want to actually "lager" (cold age).

Yes you will need some kind of vent / airlock. As flars pointed out, some vessels incorporate some kind of vent in the lid. Your tank with spigot might, but it's hard to tell in the picture.

The tank does but the fermentation bucket doesn't :/ I've just popped one of the clipper bits off so the lid is on but not sealed.

will this be a safer way without ruining the alcohol?

I can keep it in a 10c room so should be good with temp 👍

I use "non brew buckets" all the time. I drill a 5/8" hole in the lid and use a #2 drilled bung and an airlock or blowoff tube.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393643540.641328.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

The tank does but the fermentation bucket doesn't :/ I've just popped one of the clipper bits off so the lid is on but not sealed.

will this be a safer way without ruining the alcohol?

I can keep it in a 10c room so should be good with temp ��

Did the shop have krausen collar available for the bucket?

I've been looking at adding a blow off to the bucket, would a tube from the lid into a glass of water next to the bucket work?

I told the guy who runs the shop everything I had and he didn't mention a krausen collar so I guess not, what's it do?

I've been looking at adding a blow off to the bucket, would a tube from the lid into a glass of water next to the bucket work?

I told the guy who runs the shop everything I had and he didn't mention a krausen collar so I guess not, what's it do?

Some of the Euro and Australian style buckets have a collar that clips on to add headspace for the krausen. If your kit is from Muntons it may not have this feature.

Yep. It's called a blow off tube, and it would be perfect.

Some of the Euro and Australian style buckets have a collar that clips on to add headspace for the krausen. If your kit is from Muntons it may not have this feature.

Never heard of those before, but would be awesome!

I'll get to installing a blow off tube today then thanks.

The bucket is about 26 litres but only filled to 23, will the 3 litre gap be enough space?

I'll get to installing a blow off tube today then thanks.

The bucket is about 26 litres but only filled to 23, will the 3 litre gap be enough space?

Three liters of headspace, blow off tube and very good temperature control required.
You could boost the body and ABV of your kits by cutting the volume back to 19 litres.

It's already brewing at 23 litres now but I am going to make a blow off tube today.

The best constant low temperature I can get is 14.5c, will that be ok?

On advice of the home brew shop guy I used coopers Australian lager tin, 850g brewing sugar and 500g spray malt light. 150g sugar saved for secondary. How does that sound to you guys?

Just made a blow off into a glass of water, does it make any difference if the glass is on the floor next to the bucket or on top of the bucket? Just I can see it easier if it's on top.

If your kit doesn't include hops, you're going to need some of those.

Won't it be included in the treacle like liquid in the can?

When you say "spray malt", are you referring to a dry power or liquid? If liquid (typically just referred to as Liquid Malt Extract) then it is possible that it is pre hopped. If they make a Dry Malt Extract (only thing I've heard referred to as "spay malt") with hops built in, I haven't seen it yet, but either way it should say on the packaging.

The treacle in the can is LME right? That is pre hopped, the spray malt is DME, there both in the fermentor together. I'm learning slowly 😁

Just made a blow off into a glass of water, does it make any difference if the glass is on the floor next to the bucket or on top of the bucket? Just I can see it easier if it's on top.

You would risk a back siphon action if the collection glass is on top of the bucket. Keep the collection glass low. The greater the length of your blow off tube, the less risk of a back siphon into your fermentor.

It's already brewing at 23 litres now but I am going to make a blow off tube today.

The best constant low temperature I can get is 14.5c, will that be ok?

On advice of the home brew shop guy I used coopers Australian lager tin, 850g brewing sugar and 500g spray malt light. 150g sugar saved for secondary. How does that sound to you guys?

14.5°C will work. Yeast produces heat as it ferments the wort. You can keep the temperature of the wort from rising by placing the fermentor in a large tub filled with cool water. This water will absorb heat from the fermentor to keep the temperature from spiking.

The combination of sugar and spray malt is good. Some kits will recommend a kilo of sugar. This will boost the ABV, but thin the beer to a watery mouth feel. Dropping the extra sugar altogehter and replacing it with a full kilo of spray malt will also boost the ABV and add more body to your beer. If this is done, a full 11 gram sachet of yeast would be needed.

The 150 grams of sugar may be for bulk priming. The sugar would be dissolved in two cups of boiled water and added to the bottling bucket just before siphoning to the bottling bucket.

Bottling time will be at least two weeks from now. Three weeks wil be even better.

Thanks a lot, for the next one I'll drop sugar and just use the spray malt, what kind of time should I be looking to move it to the bottling tank?

If you can't quite get down to lagering temperature you could also substitute the lager yeast for the Gervin Ale yeast you mentioned. It wouldn't be the same beer but the ale yeast at 14.5 may taste better than the lager yeast at that temp.

Thanks a lot, for the next one I'll drop sugar and just use the spray malt, what kind of time should I be looking to move it to the bottling tank?

Final gravity is indicated by successive hydrometer readings being the same. I usually allow another week for the yeast to clean up natural off flavors of fermentation and for the sediment to settle out.

I'll take my first hydrometer reading two weeks after active fermentation had begun. Sometimes bottling after three weeks of primary time. Sometimes a longer primary time to fit my schedule.

Cool I'll go pick up a hydrometer in the morning, don't fancy using my aquarium one haha, the blow off is bubbling like crazy now

If you can't quite get down to lagering temperature you could also substitute the lager yeast for the Gervin Ale yeast you mentioned. It wouldn't be the same beer but the ale yeast at 14.5 may taste better than the lager yeast at that temp.

I'll remember that one for next time, I may be able to keep I cooler upstairs, if not I'll look for a better yeast.

This one was kinda rushed into because I was excited about my first brew, luckily no ones said anythings wrong with what I'm doing yet 😎

I'll remember that one for next time, I may be able to keep I cooler upstairs, if not I'll look for a better yeast.

This one was kinda rushed into because I was excited about my first brew, luckily no ones said anythings wrong with what I'm doing yet ��

Being helpful lends to a better experience than being critical.

I agree, some other forums I visit just try and push the new guys out for knowing nothing, this place just has plenty o helpful people :)

Oh and the beer finings and yeast nutrient I have, are they any good for anything? Or just save them for something else?

Oh and the beer finings and yeast nutrient I have, are they any good for anything? Or just save them for something else?

Here is a good article on the use of different finings. I'm not that much on having a really clear looking beer. I'm still concentrating on flavor and understanding yeast.
http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/12/30/fining-agents-improving-beer-clarity/

I do use yeast nutrients. I use in the boil and for yeast starters. Extra nutrition for the yeast can't be a bad thing, unless over done.

Thanks, I guess I'll just leave them both out as well, if I keep it as simple as possible I'll have something to compare anything else I make too.

I'll definitely plan future brews a lot more before starting that's for sure.

This one was kinda rushed into because I was excited about my first brew, luckily no ones said anythings wrong with what I'm doing yet 😎

Thanks, I guess I'll just leave them both out as well, if I keep it as simple as possible I'll have something to compare anything else I make too.

I'll definitely plan future brews a lot more before starting that's for sure.

There's nothing wrong with jumping in head first :) as long as you know its a learning experience and don't get discouraged by mistakes along the way.

As you said this will give you something to compare future brews and changes in your processes with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Yep, I might do another one I these kits and then try making one myself if I feel confident enough.

Mine has slowed down a lot with the bubbles, would it help to give it a stir? Or just leave it as it is?

Don't annoy the yeast. Fermentation is supposed to eventually slow down as the majority of the sugars are fermented out.
Let it go undisturbed. Yeast and sediment are beginning to drop out to give you a nice clear beer.

Hopefully it's getting there then, do you have any idea what kind of reading I should be hoping for on hydrometer?

Soooooo... I had a sneaky taste today and wow! It's already better than what I'd normally drink!! Gunna leave it sitting for a couple of weeks but does anyone have an idea of what to make next? I'll try anything but bitter

Latest posts

Back