First timer with a question about crabs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownMaelstrom

Reaction score
Hey y'all. I'm about to start my first batch of cider and I'm getting very excited, but also don't want to screw it up.

I have two different varieties of ornamental crabapples (1/4 to 1/2 inch diameter) in my yard so for fun I decided to juice some. One variety yielded a very tart yet enjoyable juice. The other is reminiscent of cranberry juice, somewhat bitter and turns my tongue into sandpaper (this is due to tannins?). Attached a picture because it's actually quite pretty.

Anyway, I wound up with about 1.5 quarts and was wondering if it's a bad idea to just chuck it in with the 5 gallons of Macintosh/red yellow delicious I pressed. I had heard of people adding crabs to the mix, but I assume those were larger varieties that are less bitter.

Thanks for any advice y'all can spare.

Attachments

• 20181102_224353.jpg
    20181102_224353.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
I think its a great idea to mix this in. Sometimes it’s helpful to know what the titratable acid and OG of the crab juice so you can make an informed decision.

The whole reason for adding crabs is to add tannins and acids which it sounds like you have that based on what you’re describing.

I say go for it.

The crabapple juice will really improve your cider, and give it some 'soul'.

I agree with the above posters. I’ve only made one cider and it was kind of boring. I think if you’ve got crabs, you should be itchin’ to merge them into something exciting.

I love adding crabs to my ciders, it ALWAYS improves them. 1.5 qt in 5 gal is not at all too much. Some people do 4/1 ratio.

I have a tree that is loaded with crab apples every year. The fruits range between an inch to an inch and a half. This year I pressed 12 gallons of juice from these apples and have 6 gallons of cider and 6 gallons of wine fermenting. The SG was just under 1.050 and the taste was not bad. The juice color was a nice golden shade. I have no idea how either will turn out but thought i would give it a try.

Did you measure how much (pounds) of crabs got you that much juice?

Latest posts

Back