First Timer - Mold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighSnows

Reaction score
OK... I guess this is probably a clear case of mold but because I'm a first time brewer, and reluctant to toss my first attempt, would appreciate you're telling me to scrap it. This is a one gallon batch started on 1/10 so it's 3 days old today. The vessel has been covered with the cloth provided in the kit except for the picture taking.

When I started this batch I hadn't read anything about sterilizing tools, and the starter kit I ordered from Amazon didn't say anything about sterilizing.

Thinking of what I did wrong: I washed the glass brewing vessel, a stainless steel stirring spoon, and a wooden spoon, in warm soapy water. Consequently I now believe none of these were sterile and also, being wet rinsed with tap water, had chlorine on them which is also bad for the brew. I guess this would also include my hands which touched the tea, the teabag, and tools. What do you do with your hands?

Would appreciate your thoughts on the pic and sterilization process. Thanks!

bootch1.jpg

HighSnows, your kombucha looks just fine. The new scoby starts out as a translucent film that gradually covers the top of the liquid, and gradually thickens-it doesn't look like you have mold, just a healthy culture. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I just returned from 3 days travel and the brew has transformed from a gray/black moldy looking ugliness into a beautiful (in the eyes of the beholder) new SCOBY forming on top. Day 7. I was on the edge of tossing it until I saw your posts, so thanks again.

20170116_190845.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I just returned from 3 days travel and the brew has transformed from a gray/black moldy looking ugliness into a beautiful (in the eyes of the beholder) new SCOBY forming on top. Day 7. I was on the edge of tossing it until I saw your posts, so thanks again.

That's what happened to mine too. It was gray/black & ugly and looked like it was going to poison me, and a week later it was a puffy slimy white thing that looked fresh and sanitary. With Germ phobia and so on,I think we are afraid to work with fermentation. I have learned a lot. I am going to be buying micocillium to inoculate beans to make Tempeh soon. Just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back