First Timer....for brewing that is

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dispater

Reaction score
Hello Everyone Im a virgin to the Forum and to Brewing
(Im not really "Brewing" Im just doing a Kit)

I have a question... but first I will tell you what I have done so far.

Its my first time so be gentle :) ... I already have lots of notes on what to do different next time.

Ok my first Kit is a "FestaBrew Blonde" (I love Blondes :)). Its just wort in a box with yeast. All I had to do was pour the wort, pitch the yeast and stick it in...the fermentor :). Sounded easy enough. Didn't take the OG.
First note

I then took the "beer" to a room about the size of a walkin closet. I let it sit a day and when I checked I realized the temp was too high (28C/82F).
SG 1.020
Second note

I then transferred to the secondary on the third day. I know I should have made sure it was the same reading over a couple of days.... but like I said Im a virgin so like all virgins..... I went quick. (I will do better next time I swear :))
SG 1.010
Third note

The siphoning process was .... to say the least intresting. (I knew where to put it...the siphon tube...but not sure how to position it :)) Im pretty sure oxygen was introduced. I have read to try and avoid this.
Forth note

Now for the QUESTION

Now Im ready to go again.. I cant wait any longer... (I tried thinking of other things but nothing works :))... I want to bottle! I have read that the secondary is not that important (I know there is a BIG debate on this) But is this ok? Or am I just adding another note?

(Don't worry I used protection :)).....everything was cleaned and sterilized before each use.

The instructions said Primary for 2-4 days Secondary 7-10 days....But lets face it Im a man I dont follow instructions.

The important thing is to be sure that all the sugars are already processed into CO2. You're going to add some priming sugar, and if that amount is in addition to some unknown amount of sugar in the batch, you risk exploding bottles and serious glass shard injury. I wouldn't bottle until you're at least 1 week removed from when you started.

First off... Yes, you are brewing!

My solution to your problem is get another fermenting vessel! You can use a food grade bucket with a lid and a grommet to allow you to insert an airlock, or a glass carboy or a better bottle carboy. Trust me, you WILL want to have more than one batch fermenting at a time.

Second... Go to your local brew store and pick up some craft beer while you wait...

Third... Go through and read some of the wise advise of the sages on this board. Give the beer at least a week in secondary and drink some of the yummy craft beer you just bought.

Fourth... It will likely be at least 3 weeks after you bottle to get a good carbonation. You will likely need more yummy craft beer while you wait...

I think all of us were impatient for our first batch! No worries, just keep learning and keep working on making beer. Once you have a pipeline, it will be easier to let your beer age a little longer :)

Agree with Laurie - Buy some good beer while you wait!!!

I have done the Festa Kits... they are awesome beer. Pure All Grain wort, bagged, you just add yeast. And they actually supply decent yeast.

May I make a recommendation for next time?

Leave in your primary for 2-3 weeks. Rack to your secondary after, and bottle right away using a cup or 2 of boiled water with the sugar for priming. No need to keep it in your secondary. That is my recommendation, its a much simpler way to start off. Again, that beer is awesome and you cannot really go wrong. Allow to mellow in the bottle for 2-3 weeks at least.

Cheers!

Totally understand the impatience. My first couple of batches I rushed everything. Now I'm at the point where I err on the side of too long because I get such beautiful, clear beer now... It all comes with time.

Welcome to the group!

First off... Yes, you are brewing!

My solution to your problem is get another fermenting vessel! You can use a food grade bucket with a lid and a grommet to allow you to insert an airlock, or a glass carboy or a better bottle carboy. Trust me, you WILL want to have more than one batch fermenting at a time.

Second... Go to your local brew store and pick up some craft beer while you wait...

Third... Go through and read some of the wise advise of the sages on this board. Give the beer at least a week in secondary and drink some of the yummy craft beer you just bought.

Fourth... It will likely be at least 3 weeks after you bottle to get a good carbonation. You will likely need more yummy craft beer while you wait...

I think all of us were impatient for our first batch! No worries, just keep learning and keep working on making beer. Once you have a pipeline, it will be easier to let your beer age a little longer :)

and Fifth: go get a playboy or girlfriend and take care of your 'personal' needs.. holy innuendos batman!

Thanks everyone for the responses I will let you know how the beer turns out.

@jjones17 is it ok to leave the beer in the primary fermentor that long? I read that any more than 5 days and you can ruin your beer due to the yeast cake on the bottom ...the dead yeast or somthing along those lines.

@MetallHed Yeah I had a little fun with this post :)

Thanks everyone for the responses I will let you know how the beer turns out.

@jjones17 is it ok to leave the beer in the primary fermentor that long? I read that any more than 5 days and you can ruin your beer due to the yeast cake on the bottom ...the dead yeast or somthing along those lines.

That used to be a fear back in the 80s when yeasts were tough to come by and often pretty unhealthy.

Nowadays most people don't worry about leaving the beer on the yeast at least up to 3 months or so.

Indeed, most of us would say that you should leave it at least a full week after fermentation is complete in order to let the yeast clean up after themselves.

and Fifth: go get a playboy or girlfriend and take care of your 'personal' needs.. holy innuendos batman!

I got a kick out of it. Guess I'm a perv!

I love your sense of humor, and I second Laurie -- you are brewing! The ATF defines the brewer as the one who adds yeast, but I define the brewer as the one who takes responsibility for the outcome. :)

I sincerely hope you enjoy this beer, and if it has some funny flavors don't get disappointed, and don't give up. I wouldn't worry too much about oxidation, since this is your first batch there is far more danger of you drinking the whole batch while it is still green rather than it going "stale" from oxygen exposure.

You will do leaps and bounds better in your second batch, and your third batch you will start to feel like an old pro!

Eventually I bet you will get away from the Festa products, not because they are bad, but because you will want more control over the process. :)

I've made that beer, Festabrew is our Canadian jewel. My notes say that after 2 weeks in the bottle beer was fine but 4 weeks was better, 5 and 6 weeks seemed about the same. Your brew may be a bit different, obviously.

Back