first timer brewing a hef

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdev167

Reaction score
Okay so saturday i started brewing a hef. well not a german but an american style anyway my question is after a few hours i started to get a lot of bubbles out of the airlock and now i am only getting a 2 to 4 bubbles a min is this normal for this style? I have read for other types that when you start getting that few of bubbles that your frementation is almost done but that seems two quick anyway I am just wondering whats going on thats for the help

jdev167 said:
Okay so saturday i started brewing a hef. well not a german but an american style anyway my question is after a few hours i started to get a lot of bubbles out of the airlock and now i am only getting a 2 to 4 bubbles a min is this normal for this style? I have read for other types that when you start getting that few of bubbles that your frementation is almost done but that seems two quick anyway I am just wondering whats going on thats for the help

Bubbles, bubbles, bubbles, just can't keep track of all these threads.....

Other than showing that has is escaping from the vessel, bubbles don't mean anything!

Yes it is highly possible that 3 days later things are slowing down but the only way you'll know what your beer is doing is by taking a reading with your hydrometer.

IMO you just leave the beer alone until day 10. Then you sample, read and taste to evaluate for potential off flavors and final gravity. Then allow the beer time to clear.

duboman said:
Bubbles, bubbles, bubbles, just can't keep track of all these threads.....

Other than showing that has is escaping from the vessel, bubbles don't mean anything!

Yes it is highly possible that 3 days later things are slowing down but the only way you'll know what your beer is doing is by taking a reading with your hydrometer.

IMO you just leave the beer alone until day 10. Then you sample, read and taste to evaluate for potential off flavors and final gravity. Then allow the beer time to clear.

+1 on leaving it for another week and a half (maybe more). Your bubbles should have slowed down as the yeast has less nutrients to munch on. Even if you don't see bubbles doesn't mean your yeast are finished. It's hard not to try and hurry the process but the more patient you are, the better your final product. You really should take gravity readings if you think the ferm is done. If you are too impatient to wait for the process to run through you may end up with any number off random issues.

Do you own a fermento-bubblemeter? That will automate the bubble counting so you don't have to worry about it. Just stick a blow-off tube into the machine and it'll keep track of everything for you. The Revvy corporation makes the best quality ones for the best prices:

scary_suitcase-300x250.jpg

Back