first timer afer from advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickod88

Reaction score
Evening All. I've recently got myself into home brewing and am doing my first one now. Went for the gluten free "gone with the wheat" home brew because my sister-in-law is Celiac and it would be nice for xmas. Now, i followed the instructions that came with it exactly, and because of work, the "beer" has been in it Fermentation tank for a few days extra. Tonight i went to check the Specific Gravity, and it's still too high (reading 1.30 i think) and it needs to be on or lower than 1.010 i think. Is this still going well?

Cheers!

Mick.

That's a tough one, you probably won't have a finished product by Christmas; however it's possible to have it in bottles by Christmas (in which case tell your SIL to give it a few weeks). Here are some options:

1 - Gently swirl the carboy/bucket to get more yeast into suspension.

2 - Warm the beer up to the low 70's (F) and see if it finishes up.

3 - Add a different type of yeast.

4 - Make a starter with a different type of yeast, and pitch it the next day (once it's chugging along).

If it were me, and I really wanted the beer as soon as possible, I'd do #1 and #2 while making the starter for #4, and pitch as soon as the new yeast is really chugging.

ah ok. i'm only going by the instructions, and it says it should only have been in the fermenter for 7 days or so, and it's been in for 10 days now. i'll give #1 and #2 a shot and keep an eye on it. how often should i take a reading with the hydrometer?

Whenever I have made the "Gone with the wheat" kits, it only ever takes about 7 days. Then bottled up and it's been fine. Stick it into a warm area and see if it gets going, again.

Back