first time with wort chiller - no fermentation at 24 hours??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranceamerica

Reaction score
Ok, I've been brewing for a long time, but have never used a wort chiller. I built one for myself, and used it this weekend for an extract batch. It was AWESOME, the wort cooled to 85 deg in about 15 min. I topped off the wort with about 2 gallons of cold water, then pitched the yeast.

I wonder if it was too cold (didn't check the final temp) because at 24 hours there wasn't any obvious signs of fermentation (maybe a few bubbles on the surface, but no airlock activity). Usually, I get rapid fermentation at maybe 12 hours into the process, but then again, I usually pitch when the wort is about 85 degrees.

I pitched another pack of yeast, and now have good fermentation. (nottingham yeast both times).

any thoughts?

Ah I see, well on my first homebrew I dropped the thermometer and it smashed before I could take the temp so I was going out on a limb, I had a feeling it was at pitching temp but then I didn't know for certain, it fermented out anyway. I'd say give it another few hours hopefully you will start to see some signs of life!

yeast is going to activate more quickly and vigorously at 85 degrees than 65 degrees. But, for most beers, you would not want fermentation to start at that high temperature.

Back