First Time with White Labs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerinBR

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
MODS: If this is the wrong Forum please move as appropriate.

Last night I attempted to make two starters. I had two vials of White Labs WLP060 American Ale Blend. I was going to use them in my first high gravity beer; an American Barley Wine and my plan was to split a 5.25 gallon batch into two 3 gallon fermenters and pitch enough yeast for 5 gallons into each fermenter. I had never used White Labs yeast and was concerned because I have read posts where these little bottles foam up when opened.
So I read the bottles carefully and followed the directions exactly.

I prepared about 3 quarts of wort at about 1.040 and cooled then funneled into two sanitized growlers I use for starters. Shook the growlers to aerate and then shook the yeast (as directed) then slowly and easily opened the first vial. As soon as the first little plastic seal cracked it sprayed, and I mean it sprayed... one vial of yeast right straight in the face... foam dripping from my glasses, into my mouth, all over the kitchen sink even hitting the light. So those are some "aggressive little buggers". Well after about 15 to 20 minutes of cleaning, lets try number two.... go slow, easy and the plastic crack and bingo spray foam yeast, missed my glasses, right in the mouth. Oh yummy a mouth full of fresh warm yeast. So another 20 minutes of cleaning. Now what to do, I got everything ready for a starter and nothing but dry Safale US-05 ... and a six pack of Bells Pale Ale... well lets harvest yeast, cant brew the Barley wine this weekend but maybe something else, a Rye IPA maybe?

So I got online went to White Labs and filled out a contact us sheet and told my tale and asked what they would do. Within the hour Customer Service Rep Pam emailed me back and apologized and gave me some info and a link to the FAQ. Pam is sending me a coupon to replace the two vials that I ended up wearing. I can take the coupon to my LHBS and get replacements. That is a fine example of Excellent Customer Service!!! Thank You White Labs!

So I wanted to pass along some tips Pam gave me to any other 1st Time White Labs users:
1. Check the website: http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_FAQ.html#top
2. Keep the yeast in the refrigerator and when you take it out to warm up crack the top to let any CO2 escape.
3. Release the CO2 occasionally while it warms up.
4. Just before use release and CO2 and then re-cap tightly and then shake it up and pitch.

I sure hope some other new brewer can learn from my lack of vision.

I did the same thing with some WLP-001. Sprayed all over my arms and counter top. But I left mine in my basement for 2 weeks at 65 F. I put it in the fridge for a couple days then made a starter. Pitched it and everything went fine. Made a damn fine IPA I must say.:mug:

Back