First time with liquid yeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't see what the expected OG is in that link. I'd say that if it's under 1.060, which it likely is, then you can get away with pitching it directly - but, be VERY careful opening the vial - it'll spray out everywhere unless you go very slowly.

Doing a starter will help to make fermentation take off faster though, which also reduces chances of infection and ensures an adequate yeast.

I'd wait till some better experts come along to confirm or correct this.

I couldn't see what the expected OG is in that link. I'd say that if it's under 1.060, which it likely is, then you can get away with pitching it directly - but, be VERY careful opening the vial - it'll spray out everywhere unless you go very slowly.

Doing a starter will help to make fermentation take off faster though, which also reduces chances of infection and ensures an adequate yeast.

I'd wait till some better experts come along to confirm or correct this.

Expected OG is 1.074

Thanks!

The need for a starter depends on your starting gravity (OG). The bigger it is the more beneficial a starter will becoming. It also depends on the age of your yeast vials and whether or not that froze in shipping (which is common this time of year). Personally I ALWAYS make a starter even if it's not necessary for yeast count, to be sure the yeast are viable. You can just make a small, 1.5L starter and pitch in both vials, let them ferment out at 75F and as soon as the yeast starts forming a white band in the bottom of the starter, put it in the fridge till the rest of the yeast drop out and it starts to clear a bit, pour off 90% of the starter liquid, swirl the yeast up and pitch to your wort!

When using liquid yeast this is the best calculator available on the web: www.yeastcalc.com

With the calculator you can assume 100 billion cells per vial of liquid yeast and the date should be changed to the date stamped on the vials. For example if your yeast is 3 weeks old now and you pitch both vials you will still need to do a 1.5L starter to make enough cells to properly ferment a 5 gallon batch of 1.074 OG wort! Not using enough healthy yeast causes more problems than just slow start to fermentation. It can produce off flavors! Pitching rates are almost as important as temperature control!

The need for a starter depends on your starting gravity (OG). The bigger it is the more beneficial a starter will becoming. It also depends on the age of your yeast vials and whether or not that froze in shipping (which is common this time of year). Personally I ALWAYS make a starter even if it's not necessary for yeast count, to be sure the yeast are viable. You can just make a small, 1.5L starter and pitch in both vials, let them ferment out at 75F and as soon as the yeast starts forming a white band in the bottom of the starter, put it in the fridge till the rest of the yeast drop out and it starts to clear a bit, pour off 90% of the starter liquid, swirl the yeast up and pitch to your wort!

When using liquid yeast this is the best calculator available on the web: www.yeastcalc.com

Pretty much this. Yeasts start is always a good idea, it primes the yeast for the arduous work ahead of them at the very least and will help the process start quicker in your wort.

Pitching two vials you will most likely be fine unless they were mishandled and the cell count suffered.

I always do a starter. If it is 1.066 or above, I do 1.5L and 1.045 gravity starter.

If it is 1.065 or below, I do a 1L and a 1.040 gravity starter. There is not really a lot of science behind these exact numbers, but it has given me great results so there is no reason to stop.

So, to be sure I don't ruin my yeast vials...

Make a 1.5L starter, with 7.1 ounces (according to yeastcalc) of DME... pitch both vials in, wait until a cake starts forming in my starter, throw it in the fridge overnight, pour out most of the liquid int he starter, pitch whats left into my cooled wort...

Did I miss anything? Also, the yeast is currently on the cool side, as it was shipped with an ice pack, do I need to let it warm up before pitching into the starter?

So, to be sure I don't ruin my yeast vials...

Make a 1.5L starter, with 7.1 ounces (according to yeastcalc) of DME... pitch both vials in, wait until a cake starts forming in my starter, throw it in the fridge overnight, pour out most of the liquid int he starter, pitch whats left into my cooled wort...

Did I miss anything? Also, the yeast is currently on the cool side, as it was shipped with an ice pack, do I need to let it warm up before pitching into the starter?

That is a lot of DME.

I do 100g/1L of water to get a 1.040~ gravity starter.

That is a lot of DME.

I do 100g/1L of water to get a 1.040~ gravity starter.

I had it set to a 2L starter. Changed it to 1.5 and it says 5.3 ounces, which would be 150g. Sounds like I'm on the right track. :ban:

ruger988 said:
Also, the yeast is currently on the cool side, as it was shipped with an ice pack, do I need to let it warm up before pitching into the starter?

It is preferable to minimize yeast shock by making sure anytime you pitch (yeast into starter, starter into wort, etc.) the temperature differential is <10*f.

Mildly agitate the yeast occasionally as well. Look up stir plate builds, they are very cheap and easy to build at home, I did mine for about $25 not including my flask. keeping the yeast in suspension will help with the start.

I've never cold chillded my starters, I've always just poured it right in to my beer. Never had an issue with off taste or clarity. 1L in 4-5 gallons of wort won't contribute much if you do everything right.

Prior to pitching your starter, save some of the yeast to have a pure strain for future brews. While you can always wash and reuse the yeast from your brews, it's good practice to keep a pure unadulterated strain in the fridge as backup.

Just did a 1.5L starter, somewhere around 5.5-6oz of wheat DME, pitched both vials of WLP300... how long should I expect to wait before I brew.. tomorrow, sunday, monday?

Back