First time with HotHead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patchtech

Reaction score
I did a 10 gallon batch this weekend. Ended up with 11.5 gallons at ~1.065.

Bought one pack of HotHead, and initially intended to do a starter. It was ~3.5 months old.

I've read about this yeast and how it likes to be under pitched. I decided to not use a starter, and see what happens. After all, I can always add more yeast.

I've kept the temperature in the 80's, and the yeast took off. After about 24 hours, the kraussen in my CF15 was up at the 16 gallon mark, and a near continuous air flow out of my blowoff tube.

Needlessly to say, I am very impressed.

I used this yeast once, doing something similar. It was on sale because the LHBS was going to throw it out because it was past the best by date, pitched it directly with no starter, and fermented at 85F.

Just like with yours, it was fast to start and chewed through the wort pretty quickly. The one reason I wont be using it again was that I got a LOT of the "bubble gum" aroma. If you're going to use one of the Kveik strains, I suggest using the Voss or Hornidal varieties.

My question is , how did you see where the krausen line was 24 hrs into your fermentation? ;)

Took a risk, while there was strong CO2 flow, and popped the 4 inch tri-clamp port at the very top off :D risky, but couldn't help myself, for the sake of science

I suggest using the Voss or Hornidal varieties.

IIRC, HotHead is a re-branded Voss variety.

Back