First time using wylab english ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarksChef

Reaction score
So I brewed an e.s.b. last night and my local homebrew shop is closed on Sunday. So I had to resort to going to whole foods. Normally I use smack packs and get a very active fermentation in 4 or so hours. But with this wylab liquid it's been 24 and nothing. Here is the crazy part. It looked like the airlock was actually sucked down. When I went to check it the bubbler released and sucked water into the fermenter. I use star-san in the air lock so I'm not worried there. I know all of my sanitation and brew practices were correct. I didn't do a yeast starter. Do you need to with the wylab? What gives? What's a girl to do! lol

I just used wyeast for the first time myself. It took about 18 hours to take off as well... my first question would how long did you let it sit after you smacked it and how did you aerate?

Did you take the temperature of the wort when you put it in your ferment vessel? It sounds like, as it cooled and the liquid contracted, your airlock water was sucked in. Depending on how warm the wort was, you might have an issue ranging from off-flavors to dead yeast. Do you usually smack the pack to test if it's healthy? Why did you go to Whole Foods?

Also, it's funny how you typed "wylabs". It's like "wyeast" and "white labs" put together. Sounds like you usually use wyeast and this time you used white labs. I use white labs english ale and it's been fine so long as it was kept cool during storage and the expiration date wasn't met. As I said above though, I'm interested in how your airlock was sucked in. Was it a cold night last night maybe? Anyway 24 hours is nothin'. :)

If you did not make a starter it can take quite a while for the yeast to build up enough cells to show visible signs of fermentation. There is not enough yeast in one of those little WHITE LABS vials for a 5 gallon batch to just pitch it straight in the wort without a starter. If pitching straight from a vial you should use at least 2. Give it a day and if it is still in park go get some more yeast and pitch it in.

im still confused on what you actually used. but anyhow, i used 2 white labs california ale V 051 vials (in a stout on accident: was supposed to use it for my arrogant bastard clone. we will c how it turns out) anyway i pitched 21 sep and it wasnt until the morning of 23 sep that i saw some action. im using a blow of tube.

It is white labs English ale. Everything is on track now. Good movement in air lock, and nice head of krausen forming. Thanks for all the responses.

Latest posts

Back