First Time Using LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eqttrdr

Reaction score
Been brewing with DME for a year now and been pretty much sucessful with each batch.

However I have heard great things about Northern Brewer super structure malt blend and wanted to try some LME.

I found a grain recipe I want to copy that calls for 12.5lbs of grain.

Sincerely appreciate if anyone can answer a couple questions:

1) how much LME do I need to substitute for 12.5lbs of grain?

2) never brewed with LME and I cant figure out if I am supposed to use my normal water boil size or reduce the water amount oz for oz for what I add in LME? Does the LME take the place of the water used and do you boil the LME or just add it at flameout?

but if I add volume of LME into a 5 gallon boil then my boil is no longer 5 gallons. If I wait till I lose water due to evaporation, then add more LME my final wort isnt 5 gallons is WAY over :confused:

but if I add volume of LME into a 5 gallon boil then my boil is no longer 5 gallons. If I wait till I lose water due to evaporation, then add more LME my final wort isnt 5 gallons is WAY over :confused:

Yes the LME will displace volume when added like DME does. If you are doing a late addition of LME my sugestion woul be to boil less volume than you would with DME and top up in the fermentor. If you are doing a full volume boil dissolove the LME in a couple gallons then top up to you normal boil volume (this only works if you are not concerened about the final color).

Back