First Time Treating Water and Using Bru'n Water (Bohemian Pilsener)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT_Keg

Reaction score
My father-in-law bought the European Pilsener kit from Midwest Supplies. We plan on using 100% distilled water to create a simple water profile: Ca=30, Mg=0, Na=0, Cl=53, SO4=0

The recipe contains the following:
  • 9 lbs. Domestic Pilsner Malt
  • 8 oz. Carapils
  • 8 oz. Crystal 10L Malt
If I keyed in all my inputs correctly, it appears I will have to add 1 gram of CaCl2 and 1.3 ml of 88% Lactic Acid to 3.125 gallons of Mash Water and 1.8 grams of CaCl2 to 5.675 gallons of Sparge Water.

I was hoping someone could take a look at the attached Bru'n Water screen shots to verify I am on the right path and provide any additional guidance.

Thanks for all your help and thanks to Mr. Brungard for developing this tool!

Attachments

• Grains.JPG
    Grains.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Adjustments.JPG
    Adjustments.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 74
Looks good. You're kidding yourself with the water volumes since you probably won't be able to be that exact. A technique that I like to use in these low mineral content brews is to add all the minerals to the mashing water and none to the sparging water. That does affect mashing pH and the supporter's version of Bru'n Water supports that calculation. Boosting the calcium content of the mashing water above the 30 ppm level shown in the water profile does improve the removal of oxalate (beerstone precursor).

Yep. I agree that I won't be measuring that precisely :). I will take your advice and add all the minerals to the mash water.

Boosting the calcium content of the mashing water above the 30 ppm level shown in the water profile does improve the removal of oxalate (beerstone precursor).

Do you think we should be targeting 50 ppm of Ca? If so, should we be thinking adding gypsum , CaCl2, or a combination? (other water profile suggestions are welcome)

That does affect mashing pH and the supporter's version of Bru'n Water supports that calculation.

Funny you should mention the Supporter's Version... I just contributed to support Bru'n Water :ban:.

Two more questions... it seems that the water profile is based on the water we are going to boil (7.5 gallons going into the kettle). After boiling the water there should be about 6 gallons left; are we not concerned about the ion concentration post boil?

Do I have to adjust the pH of the sparge water if we are using Distilled or RO water? I have read that it is unnecessary due to the low alkalinity of the water; I just want to make sure.
Thanks for all your help! :mug:

MT

Last edited:
@mabrungard

Is this more like what we should be looking for?

Attachments

• Grains_Refined.JPG
    Grains_Refined.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Adjustments_Refined.JPG
    Adjustments_Refined.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Back