First time needing to re pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just1pepsi

Reaction score
I picked up a 1 gallon all grain kit on the super cheap from one of those half off half type discount stores. It is an American pale kit that came with the 1 gallon jug and the basic gear one needs to make a beer. My expectations were not high but it's been a little while since I last brewed due to life and this was an easy way to get back into the process and try my hand at all grain on a small scale. Everything went as smooth as possible except I managed to mess up my hop schedule. The yeast was in a foil envelope marked yeast, I cooled everything down to 70degrees, pitched the yeast, swirled it about, popped on the airlock and I've yet to see any movement whatsoever. It has been 46 hours. I've looked through my stash and all I have on hand is some Montrachet yeast that I've used for apfwlwine in the past.. I'm honestly unsure if it is even any good. I know the obvious answer for what the best solution would be, but does anyone have first hand experience using this type of yeast for this or a similar scenario? I want to save this, but I don't want to go buy yeast, I want to use what I've got. Also: what is the longest you've waited for active fermentation to start?

If the kit was from a discount store, odds are the yeast is dead, who knows how long it's been sitting on the shelf.

Mixing different yeast strands is never a good idea unless you know what you're looking for specifically

I'd wait maybe 1 more day, then if no fermentation starts, if it's for an American pale ale, buy a dry pack of Us-05 and pitch that. The longer you wait to repitch, the higher the chance of your beer going bad

maybe give it a little a shake a couple of times over the day to get some oxygen in to it too

Back