First time mini mashing and I'm wondering...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joepfohl

Reaction score
Hey all,

Doing my 3rd brew ever as a Mini mash kit from AHS. Since its getting a little cooler I'm going with a double chocolate stout. I was reading the instructions from AHS and it says to mash 3.75 Lbs of grain in 2 gallons of water at 155 Deg for 45 minutes. I've read over deathbrewer's partial mash instructions more times than I can count, as well as many other posts on the AHS forums, and get the feeling that the ratio AHS asks me to use (2.13qt/Lb), the temp (155), and the length of time (45 mins) seem a little off.

My assumption would be that mashing at something in the neighborhood of 152 for 60 minutes with a ratio of 1.5qt/lb and then using the dunk sparge as has been recommended would be more efficient. What to y'all think?

Thanks in advance!

- j o e p f o h l

I've never done BIAB, but either mash temp will work - the higher one will give your final beer more body. Also, either mash water ratio will work with little difference in the final beer. I routinely mash at 2+ qts/lb. Use whatever makes sense to you and your system.

Thanks JLem. I wasn't aware that higher mash temps equaled more body. In that case, I'll probably stick with the instructions they supplied. Think 45 mins vs 1 hour will make a huge difference?

- j o e

Thanks JLem. I wasn't aware that higher mash temps equaled more body. In that case, I'll probably stick with the instructions they supplied. Think 45 mins vs 1 hour will make a huge difference?

- j o e

No- at a higher temp (above 152, generally), conversion generally happens very fast, often within 20 minutes. Holding it at 45 minutes means it would be done, but you can go 60 minutes if you feel like it. It should easily convert way before then, but many brewers go 60 minutes just to ensure it has fully converted.

If I can shave 15 minutes off brew day you can bet I'm going to! Now I'm getting excited! Thanks the help.

Back