first time making wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noa_James

Reaction score
I am using a strawberry riesling concentrate kit. It says it will be ready in 4 weeks, but is it like brewing beer? The longer it sits, does the wine become more flavorful and/or more potent? Also if more time is better, should I leave it in the secondary fermentor, or give it time to set in the bottles? Any input is appreciated, thanks.

I wouldn't touch it at four weeks. Yes, time will improve it quite a bit, up until a certain point (depending in the kit). Quality of product, how well it was fermented, handled, and stored as well alcohol percentage will affect how well it ages.

I have made a bunch of cheaper kits and I find they age until about 6 months, then after that I don't really notice a difference.

I am using a strawberry riesling concentrate kit. It says it will be ready in 4 weeks, but is it like brewing beer? The longer it sits, does the wine become more flavorful and/or more potent? Also if more time is better, should I leave it in the secondary fermentor, or give it time to set in the bottles? Any input is appreciated, thanks.

I assume that it's an "Island Mist" kit? If so, I'd recommend following the instructions exactly. That wine is more like an "Arbor mist" style of wine- lower ABV with a sweetening "F pack", and will not improve with age and the instructions are perfect for those kits.

Back