First time liquid yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesd25

Reaction score
I'm brewing with liquid yeast for the first time the yeast has been in fridge ever since I received it from northern brewer. I took it out of fridge and "smacked" it as per instructions say to do so, and leaving it out for 3 hrs before use. Should the contents inside the package be all liquid before using, or will there be a solid substance in it still? Also is it ok to use the yeast the same day you take it out of the fridge? I already have everything sanitizing and really can't brew any other time this week. Thanks for info about the yeast!

Yes it will be all liquid. Try to leave it smacked as long as you can but you will be fine. What size batch? 1 liquid yeast pack is generally not enough for a 5 gallon batch depending on the manufacturer's date. Check out yeastcalc.com for more information about yeast cells and making starters with liquid yeast.

It is a 5 gallon extract kit, so it should have the right amount of yeast, or at least I hope it does.

It is a 5 gallon extract kit, so it should have the right amount of yeast, or at least I hope it does.

No. It probably won't. You will likely need two smack-packs... or you need to make a starter.

Another smack-pack will cost you less than 7 bucks - just run out to your LHBS and snag another one for this brew...... and then learn about starters after that!

Trust us...... or go here to find out we're right: http://yeastcalc.com/

:mug:

Is the pack swelling? It will be if the yeast are viable and active, and if you let it get warm (70, I think the packs say - check the instructions on the package).

One pack will work, but depending on the style, it may not be optimum. But that is a big debate topic.

Im about 30 miles from my LHBS and they are not open on Sunday's, so getting another pack is not gonna work.

The pack is swelling since it has been out for about an hour and half. The pack will not blow up will it?

One pack will work, but depending on the style, it may not be optimum. But that is a big debate topic.

^ He's right - you'll still make beer pitching 100 billion cells. You'll just make BETTER beer by pitching the right amount of yeast... which is worth an extra 6 or 7 bucks in my book. :)

No, won't blow. Check the expiration stamp or manufacture date. Read the instructions on the back. Shake it plenty, every 1/2 hour or so, let it swell nicely, 3 hours before pitching is good, it'll be fine. Not the optimum for best fermentation, but it'll work. Next time make a starter or research yeast more.

I need to learn this. I've only got one yeast starter under my belt and still feel a little uneasy with it all.

Agreed. This one always starts a debate. Anyway,5/26 I brewed a PM Berlin wheat kit. Left the smack pack of WY3056 to inflate for a few hours. Pitched it @ 5:54PM that afternoon. Was really cold yet at that point weather-wise. Next morning,43F outside Brew was at 64.4F by 6:38AM the next morning. At 7:39AM it started bubbling. By the way,it pegged the airlock center peice against the cap by 8:04PM,a couple hours after pitching. Bubbled like a percolator till 5/29,7:23AM.
I've had rather quick results pitching WL029 Kolsh yeast straight as well. I think optimal temp conditions have something to do with it?...

^ He's right - you'll still make beer pitching 100 billion cells. You'll just make BETTER beer by pitching the right amount of yeast... which is worth an extra 6 or 7 bucks in my book. :)

He will make beer but a lot depends on the manufacture date of the yeast. It loses alot of cell viability the older it is. He will make beer for sure but can make better beer with the proper amount of yeast.

Im about 30 miles from my LHBS and they are not open on Sunday's, so getting another pack is not gonna work.

The pack is swelling since it has been out for about an hour and half. The pack will not blow up will it?

Well if you can't make a starter... and you can't get more yeast...... then all you can do is pitch what you have. No; it's not gonna blow up on you, man.

Well I guess this will be a test run for me, the package says "MFG 07 FEB 13", and I'm using it now 8 months later, the back of package says best used by 6 months of manufactured date.

Search the boards. You make a mini beer with some DME (dried malt extract) and pitch the yeast there, let it reproduce and start working, then pitch it to your 'real' batch of wort.

It confirms you have viable yeast, gets them working and ready to ferment, and reproduces cells so you have enough for 5 gallons (or whatever batch size you're making).

Well I guess I'll just put everything up for the week and try next weekend, but I'll get some new yeast from the store in the meantime. How much yeast should I get for 5 gallon batch? Should I just throw away my yeast I have now since its 8 months old? Is liquid yeast better than dry or vice versa? thanks for all answers and sorry for asking so many questions, just never used liquid before. Thanks again!

8 months old is nothing. Make a starter for it. I made a small starter for a 2 year old 7g Cooper's ale yeast packet on a 6 gallon batch of OS Lager that was also 2 years old. Darn near had to use a blow off on that one! A start can do great things for what numerically is "old" yeast. Yeast cells are def some tough lil critters.

Depending on the yeast, the OG of the beer, and how fresh the beer is, one package can work. But I wouldn't use any yeast past the expiration without making a starter. Heck, even 3 months after the manufacture date is pushing it, especially with anything over 1.050 OG. Your LHBS should give you a refund for selling an out-of-date yeast.

Will the yeast that I have stay good for a few days until I can get more or is the 3 hr time period all its good for?

Latest posts

Back