first time lautering, amazing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer is good

Reaction score
My wort was clear!! Before I added hop pellets. This will definitely reduce the cake on the bottom of my carboy.

I always thought that the goal was clear beer. Mine are never clear when I put them in the fermenter and I don't care how big the cake at the bottom of the fermenter is, I just care that I get good clear beer. Careful racking to the bottling bucket leaves all that trub behind and if I leave the beer in the fermenter for a long enough time there will be little sediment in the bottles. It seems that many brewers get excited it the wort is clear going into the fermenter but the real goal of lautering is to keep the particles of grain out. You only need to lauter until there is no more grain particles.

I always thought that the goal was clear beer. Mine are never clear when I put them in the fermenter and I don't care how big the cake at the bottom of the fermenter is, I just care that I get good clear beer. Careful racking to the bottling bucket leaves all that trub behind and if I leave the beer in the fermenter for a long enough time there will be little sediment in the bottles. It seems that many brewers get excited it the wort is clear going into the fermenter but the real goal of lautering is to keep the particles of grain out. You only need to lauter until there is no more grain particles.

There were no grain particles, usually my wort looks like miso soup before I start boiling it. As for the cake on the bottom, I am brewing 1 gallon batches so a thick cake can make a difference in my final yield.

A good portion of that cake could also be hot/cold break.

I recirc during the mash and have crystal clear wort entering the boil, but the breaks get so chopped up by the pump during chilling that it never fully settles after the whirlpool. I still get a decent layer under the yeast, but it doesn't affect racking.

My wort was clear!! Before I added hop pellets. This will definitely reduce the cake on the bottom of my carboy.
Isn't it great having more BEER in your fermentor? I love leaving as much of the trub behind in the mash tun and boil kettle. At bottling time you're rewarded with more beer, because your fermentor wasn't filled with trub!

A little less trub and grain debris in the fermenter is also good if you plan on using some of that yeast cake for future batches.

What were you doing before, and what are you doing now?

Before I would stir around the mash while pouring hot water into it, now I am gently lautering over the grain bed to filter my wort. The beer is fermenting now and there is a lot less stuff floating around in the fermenter too.

I also pour my wort through a paint bag to get some of the hops out after the boil is done.

Before I would stir around the mash while pouring hot water into it, now I am gently lautering over the grain bed to filter my wort. The beer is fermenting now and there is a lot less stuff floating around in the fermenter too.

I also pour my wort through a paint bag to get some of the hops out after the boil is done.

Wouldn't a Vorlauf accomplish the same result?

This sounds more like a change from batch sparging to some form of fly-sparging.

Lautering is separation of the spent grains from the wort. If you are brewing with grains all processes involve lautering. Perhaps my definitions are different to your own?

This sounds more like a change from batch sparging to some form of fly-sparging.

Lautering is separation of the spent grains from the wort. If you are brewing with grains all processes involve lautering. Perhaps my definitions are different to your own?

Sounds like I am using the wrong word, I thought lautering was pouring your wort through the grain bed gently to filter it after mashing was finished :drunk:

Sounds like I am using the wrong word, I thought lautering was pouring your wort through the grain bed gently to filter it after mashing was finished :drunk:

Lautering is getting the wort out of the grain, separating the grain and wort.

Vorlaufing is recirculating some of the first runnings over the grainbed to set the grainbed so that the rest of the run-off is clear.

I hope that helps!

Lautering is getting the wort out of the grain, separating the grain and wort.

Vorlaufing is recirculating some of the first runnings over the grainbed to set the grainbed so that the rest of the run-off is clear.

I hope that helps!

Oh my, I feel silly now :(

Update my thread: First time VORLAUFING, amazing!! :ban:

Back