First time keging and first hefeweizen.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkinIrish

Reaction score
I know hefeweizens are supposed to be unfiltered and cloudy in general, my question is how do you achieve that in a keg?

The yeast doesn't floc well, so it will be cloudy at first. If it eventually drops, you can just rock the keg around a bit to get the yeast back in suspension - kinda like you would swirl the bottle.

Just rack to keg, after fermentation is complete, and carbonate (assuming you're not keg conditioning). Over time, the cold temperatures in your fridge could contribute to loss of suspended yeast, etc. but you could always just flip the keg over for a few minutes.

I've 2 weissbiers on tap and have yet to have any issues with the yeast. I doubt they will be around long enough for the yeast to drop out (I brew 90% of the beer I drink, so kegs don't hang around long) but rousing the keg a bit should kick the yeast back into suspension. It draws from the bottom so you don't have to go crazy shaking it. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406865571.597015.jpg

That's after two weeks

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Awesome thanks for the info. I was concerned that there wouldn't be enough yeast in suspension during the transfer to the keg but it sounds like that isn't a problem.

One more quick question about hefeweizens, use Irish moss or no? Will it in anyway effect how the yeast suspends?

Irish moss won't effect the yeast at all. It was probably unnecessary to add since the purpose of it is to drop some the haze causing proteins. That does also help with shelf stability over long periods, but you shouldn't be aging a hefe anyway.

What I wouldn't do is use a long cold crash or lagering period before kegging (a couple days ok, but I'd avoid weeks). That definitely would drop a bunch of yeast. If you do accidentally clear a hefe before kegging, you can always just suck a little yeast up during the transfer and that will get it back into suspension.

Thanks for all of your help! I can't wait to get this brew going his Sunday. I have been making beer for a while now (aprox. 15 batches) but I want to start working on making good beer that is repeatable now. This forum has always been a huge help. Thank you.

Back