First Time Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdonn87

Reaction score
I've tried reading around to get the best feel for what I should be doing, but decided that a post to confirm couldn't hurt.

I am going with this method:
1. 30 psi at room temperature for 24 hours with initial shaking and casual mixing when I can.
2. Bleed off to serving pressure and toss it in the kegerator for 2-3 days.

Any comments or extra tips would be appreciated. Also if anyone knows the serving pressure for a Witbier it would save me a little trouble searching for it tomorrow!

Thanks in advance
-JD

Put it in the kegerator, set at 30psi for 36 hours, skip the shaking, then reduce to serving pressure ~10psi.

What slipgate said.

If you can chill it, do it as soon as possible. The shaking is rather unnecessary and just stirs up crap, and beats the beer to death.

Hook it up at 30psi, and put it in there to chill. Keep it there for 2-3 days if you want, 2 at a minimum, and then lower to serving pressure, and leave it there for another day.

After that, I'm generally at the point where I want the beer to be carb wise and it's ready to go.

I like to seal it at 30 psi, then turn the gas off while it comes down to fridge temp. Then I turn the gas back on for 24 hrs @ 30 psi, then bleed off the gas, and turn it back on at 12 psi for at least a week. Shaking doesn't ever turn out well for me... BUT, if you must rush it (I've been there. New keg system, want to use it asap) cold crash the beer first so you don't rack any crap into the keg (DON'T SKIP THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE SECONDARIED AND IT IS CLEAR). Rack. Seal @30, Turn gas to 12, shake that **** until it stops making bubbling or hissing noises, leave it in the fridge for a few hours to settle, and enjoy. Kegging rocks. I can't believe I used to bottle.

I've tried reading around to get the best feel for what I should be doing, but decided that a post to confirm couldn't hurt.

I am going with this method:
1. 30 psi at room temperature for 24 hours with initial shaking and casual mixing when I can.
2. Bleed off to serving pressure and toss it in the kegerator for 2-3 days.

Any comments or extra tips would be appreciated. Also if anyone knows the serving pressure for a Witbier it would save me a little trouble searching for it tomorrow!

Thanks in advance
-JD

This is what I do. Works well. I can usually drink it in about 3 days.. Never had it overcarb. As far as shaking, everything settles back once it chills.

I've tried setting to 30psi when chilled, but had bad luck with this method. I had several beers overcarb.

I like to seal it at 30 psi, then turn the gas off while it comes down to fridge temp. Then I turn the gas back on for 24 hrs @ 30 psi, then bleed off the gas, and turn it back on at 12 psi for at least a week. Shaking doesn't ever turn out well for me... BUT, if you must rush it (I've been there. New keg system, want to use it asap) cold crash the beer first so you don't rack any crap into the keg (DON'T SKIP THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE SECONDARIED AND IT IS CLEAR). Rack. Seal @30, Turn gas to 12, shake that **** until it stops making bubbling or hissing noises, leave it in the fridge for a few hours to settle, and enjoy. Kegging rocks. I can't believe I used to bottle.

Why would you take the gas off while it chills? As you chill, the pressure will drop, and the 30psi will begin to absorb into the beer, and drop the pressure on the keg pretty quickly.

You lose all that time that it could be carbing while you wait for it to chill... Just curious, as we all have our own way of doing it, but this seemed odd to me.

I used to leave it on, but I found that turning it off gets me way more consistent results (no overcarbing, mostly). That's all.

Legging went well. Carbonation awesome. Used the 30psi cold for three days shaking twice a day for five minutes. The only problem I see is it is a little cloudy but tastes pretty good. How do I clear it up with this batch and is there a sure way for the next batch. This batch is near beer ferment attend with sugar yeast and about 2oz of hops.

Legging went well. Carbonation awesome. Used the 30psi cold for three days shaking twice a day for five minutes. The only problem I see is it is a little cloudy but tastes pretty good. How do I clear it up with this batch and is there a sure way for the next batch. This batch is near beer ferment attend with sugar yeast and about 2oz of hops.

It's cloudy because you shook it, and/or didn't rack very well.

Back