first time kegging question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breweRN

Reaction score
Hello friends.

When naturally carbing, does the carbonation create enough pressure to push even an ounce to 2 out?

I say yes, but not from experience. When you force carb you have 6-10 psi on the keg. I would assume natural carbing has the same pressure to have the same level of carbonation. So, yes you could pour a couple beers with the pressure from force carbing. Then the carbonation would come out of your beer to equalize with the now lower pressure in the keg.

breweRN said:
Hello friends.

When naturally carbing, does the carbonation create enough pressure to push even an ounce to 2 out?

Yes, and even more. To add to what n240 said, you can actually pour many glasses of brew before turning on the Co2. I've done it many times. Think about opening a single bottle. When you do, you can feel and see the Co2 escape from the bottle. Same thing for a keg naturally carbed.

I have also experienced this without naturally carbing or even force carbing. For example, one of my kegs on tap right now is a hefe. It stayed in primary for 3 weeks and hit fg perfectly. I kegged it for another 3 weeks (no sugar added). First pour came out strong. It was a little flat but no big deal.

Back