First Time Graff...Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spazzy

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am planning on brewing some tasty graff soon but I have a few questions.

1. I am sort of new to homebrewing in general I am planning on fermenting in my 5 gallon plastic bucket fermenter, but my issue is I don't quite have enough bottles for a 5 gallon batch, I am planning on 3.5 or so (I will adjust my ingredients as necessary) Is is ok to ferment in the 5 gallon fermenter? I am assuming so because the excess headspace will rapidly be filled with CO2

2. The recipes I am looking at call for 1lb DME, I am thinking of replacing that with brown sugar? any implications to this? Also what amount of brown sugar is comparable to 1 lb DME?

Thanks everyone! I am really getting excited for this!

For your first question, 3.5 gallons will more than likely be fine in a 5 gallon fermenter.

For your second question, brown sugar is NOT comparable to DME. The DME in the graff will help keep the yeast healthy and non-stressed as they like the maltose and nutrient in the DME far better than the totally fermentable glucose. Don't get me wrong, they'll (the yeast) totally ferment out that brown sugar and it'll be much drier... I could be wrong but at least this is my understanding...

Also, if you don't use DME it won't really be a graff... It'll be more like an apfelwein or a cider which you may be going for but if you're looking for that maltiness in a "cider" try to get some DME... you won't regret it.

Thanks, it looks like I'll be using DME then, any advice on what type? Light or dark?

I don't know why but I always equate lighter colors with refreshing etc... so I might stick with light... but I don't think it'll make that much difference...

I've got all the ingredients that Brandon listed to start my graff. It will be my first attempt at any type of brewing. I understand everything up to the point of fermentation. However, I'm a little fuzzy on the fermentation schedule. Also, to the OP, pardon my thread hijack... I just didn't think we needed two graff question posts so close together.

After speaking with my LHBS, he said I should first do an open primary fermentor (ale pail) for a day w/wish mesh cover, then cover with lid & airlock until all the simple sugars have been converted. At that time, I should move it to a secondary fermentor (carboy) and let it sit until it finishes out.

Is that correct? Any input is welcome. Thanks!

"After speaking with my LHBS, he said I should first do an open primary fermentor (ale pail) for a day w/wish mesh cover, then cover with lid & airlock until all the simple sugars have been converted. At that time, I should move it to a secondary fermentor (carboy) and let it sit until it finishes out.

Is that correct? Any input is welcome. Thanks!"

They told you to open ferment?

I live in Florida... if I did that I'd have all many of insect life and wild yeast doing back strokes in my graff! Even with a screen...

After you bring the freshly made graff down to pitchable temperatures 60-80 F, pitch your yeast cover with a lid and airlock and leave it alone for 3-4 weeks ( I can't remember what he said if anything about the length of time) try to keep the temps in the mid 60's. Also, as you will read on here, you don't need to do a secondary unless you are dry hopping or adding oak/fruit...

There are even some people that cover their fermenters with the lid but don't snap it for the first couple of days... but I'd be wary of leaving it open to the air, any amount of time unless you are trying to harvest wild yeast....

just my 2 cents...

They told you to open ferment?

I live in Florida... if I did that I'd have all many of insect life and wild yeast doing back strokes in my graff! Even with a screen...

After you bring the freshly made graff down to pitchable temperatures 60-80 F, pitch your yeast cover with a lid and airlock and leave it alone for 3-4 weeks ( I can't remember what he said if anything about the length of time) try to keep the temps in the mid 60's. Also, as you will read on here, you don't need to do a secondary unless you are dry hopping or adding oak/fruit...

There are even some people that cover their fermenters with the lid but don't snap it for the first couple of days... but I'd be wary of leaving it open to the air, any amount of time unless you are trying to harvest wild yeast....

just my 2 cents...

Yeah, they told me to open ferment for one night. I'm new and only know enough to be dangerous, but that sounded a little wierd to me.

Is there any benefit to using the ale pail vs the carboy for primary fermentation?

Ale pail vs carboy?

Really depends on personal preference... I use both for fermenters... I don't have the proper equipment and I'm so paranoid about breaking my glass carboy that the pail is less stress ;) but if I had a better bottle and a carboy washer, it'd be on...

REally either'd be okay...

The advantage of using a carboy is that you won't need a secondary. You can just leave it alone until it is completely clear.:mug:

Primary 1: Christmas Metheglin
Primary 2: English Brown Ale
Primary 3: Empty:(
Bottled: All Late Hops Addition APA, Scottish Ale, Cider(the last few bottles from last year)

The advantage of using a carboy is that you won't need a secondary. You can just leave it alone until it is completely clear.:mug:
Why would you need to use a secondary with an ale pail? because an ale pail is a bucket?...

In both you can leave for a significant amount of time to clear... They are just vessels. I have mainly buckets and my brews are crystal after 3 weeks to a month..

I thought of another question; i am planning on using Safale 05, since im only doing 3.5ish gallons should I use the whole packet? Would this be overpitching or just providing a better starter?

Back