First time going off a recipe from a friend. Your thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richwyso

Reaction score
So i have decided to venture away from the kits and follow a recipe. I was curious to know what people thought about it or if it should be critiqued. It's for an APA from a friend of mine:

malt
1 lbs 2-Row
.5 lbs Munich
.5 lbs Caramel 40
6 lbs of extra light dried malt extract

Hops
Magnum .5 oz @ 60 min
Centennial .5 oz @ 30 min
Centennial .5 oz @ 10 min
Columbus (tamahawk) .5 oz @ 10 min
Centennial 2 oz @ Flameout
Centennial 1 oz Dry-hop
Columbus 1 oz Dry-hop

Wyeast 1272 American ALe 2

I have only really been using Dry yeast (i have only rehydrated) so for this do I have to make a yeast starter or is the nutrient pack suffice? THe guy at the brew store said i wouldn't have to make a starter because of the nutrient pack. Just wanted to see what others thought.

Thanks everyone!!!

It can't hurt to make a starter. Sure the pack will puff up to let you know that there's some viable yeast inside, but a good starter will really get those yeasties multiplying. Check out this link for more details about pitching rates and starters.

Why the 2 row (base malt) in the steeping grains? The Ex-light DME is probably all 2 row extract. I always use a 1/2 pound of Carapils in Extract beers to help a little with head retention. You only get about 20% utilization out of steeped carapils... but any little bit helps.

Other than that... looks like you will have a nice hoppy beer.

Unless you're OG is going to be over 1.060, you really don't NEED a starter. But it can't hurt to use one either. Up to you.

Gary

Thanks guys.. Yea i am not sure either Gasoline. I got everything together now. ill let you know how it tastes in a while

Back