First time feementing with lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guinness10

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Kind of an odd question, but figure it never hurts to ask. I've brewed a number of ales, and this is the first time I've tried brewing a lager. I've noticed a brown haze collecting in the airlock. The krauzen hasn't even reached the top of the fermenter, so I know it isn't residue from a partial blowout or anything, but I haven't seen anything similar in the ales I've done so far.

I'm not particularly worried, just curious if this is something common to lagers or the yeast in particular (WLP 833). I'm just going to clean and re-sanitize the airlock anyway, but if anyone could shed some light on the subject, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

i do a lot of lagers and cant say ive seen anything unusual in the airlock (unless i have an unexpected blowoff).

if you have starsan in the airlock you should be fine.

Yeah, starsan in the airlock. I disassembled, cleaned, sanitized and reassembled everything, just to be safe.

Back