first time cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harrydan

Reaction score
The Krausen has finally fallen in my irish red and I am attempting my first cold crash. It was 32 degrees last night so I put it outside and because it's Feb. in New England I didn't expect it to be 50 today.. will It be ok when the temp drops back down or should i transfer to my secondary for bottling asap?

To truly crash it you want it there for a couple weeks to help clarify and cold-stabilize the beer. The big temp flucuations are not good, if you can't keep it controlled you are better off just bottling it and putting it in the fridge for a couple weeks after the carbonation period (about 3 weeks).

thanks I probably will bottle tomorrow since it's pretty clear already but i have a bigger problem... the towel i had wrapped around my carboy fell off during the day in the sun and now it is a tad bit skunky.. not as bad as Heinies or those canadian skunk beers but It pisses me off b/c my color is perfect. any ideas on how to salvage?

Give it some time... You may just be tasting skunkiness that isn't actually there.
Sort of like seeing mold on something and getting this feeling that you can taste it in everything that was near it ;)

You might want to just let it ride. PVPP (PolyClar) is used in white wine to help remove minor oxidation. It's also a fining agent for beer but I would research it a bit if you think you want to try it.

Back