First time ciderer, questions about adding to my secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradigm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm working on my first batch of cider, it's currently fermenting happily on S-04. Our goal here is to make a pumpkin cider by secondarying on pumpkin, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg seeds and a vanilla bean.

My question is: all of these things are safe in beer, is there anything I need to worry about for cider? Also, do you know how much of each should be used for a 5 gallon batch? (Mostly for the cinnamon and nutmeg, I know I'm only using 1 vanilla bean)

I use 3 full cinnamon sticks for 5 gallon batches but i've not added pumkin to any ciders yet. Many of the pumkin beers people reffer to as `pumkiny` arent actually getting the flavor from pumkin itself but the spices. Slap in some `pumkin pie spice` and see how well you like it.

Usually for spices, less it more. Start with a few sticks and seeds, wait a couple days and see how it tastes.

Just a suggestion, but on another thread (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/caramel-apple-hard-cider-292770/) the suggestion was made to use cinnamon extract because the cinnamon was not integrating well with the cider. You might consider that option as well. Or make a tincture of your spices by soaking them in vodka or other "neutral spirits" for a few days, shaking the bottle every time you go by. :)

I've never had an issue using cinnamon sticks. Just don't use powdered cinnamon.

Never tried making cider with pumpkins but better to use pie pumpkins or cans of pumpkins than jack o ' lantern type fruit. The smaller varieties have more sugar ... and flavor (I make a pumpkin soup inside a pumpkin and the smaller pumpkins produce much better flavor)

Latest posts

Back