First Time Cider Making FAQ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPowell

Reaction score
Hello, all.
I’ve noticed that, as informative as the information is in this forum and as helpful as the people are, there was no clearly identifiable FAQ to read. Having just made my first two batches, I thought I’d try to collate my own questions, experiences and observations along with the most frequently asked questions in the first 5 or so pages of the forums. I do not take credit for most of the information below. The answers were gleaned from many posters, too many to give individual credit to, unfortunately. I hope it is useful. Please feel free to post corrections, suggestions and additions and I’ll edit this original post as I have time.

LHBS Local Homebrew Store
SWMBO She Who Must Be Obeyed
Primary Primary fermentation, where yeast converts sugar to alcohol
Secondary Secondary, mostly for aging or clarify cider
OG Original, or starting, gravity. Basically, your first hydrometer reading.
FG Final, or finishing, gravity. The hydrometer reading after fermentation is done
Fermented Dry A cider is fermented dry when the yeast has eaten all the sugar and fermentation stops
Backsweeten After a cider has fermented dry, the process of adding flavors and sugars to taste
Campden Tablet Potassium or Sodium Metabisulfite – used to kill yeast and bacteria
Bottle Bombs Bottles that explode due to carbonation or, perhaps, attempting to pasteurize over-carbonated cider
Force Carbonate The process of using a keg and CO2 to create carbonation in your cider. Typically done AFTER killing all the yeast in your cider.
Lees Not Blue Jeans. Lees are the byproduct of fermentation, dead yeast and other particles.
Cold Crash refrigerating cider to cause yeast to settle out of the cider. yeast will go dormant during the chilling process, but will revive once it warms if there is still sugar present in the cider
Still Cider A finished cider that has no carbonation

1) Is it easy to make cider?
Yes, it really is. Like any hobby, you can make it as complicated and expensive as you like, but the basics are preservative free, pasteurized, store-bought Apple Juice, a little yeast, a glass jug, an air lock and time. I started with literally zero knowledge and had an amazing, delicious product on my second batch. Using only the internet and this site, I was able to successfully gather enough knowledge to produce cider.

2) What sort of apple juice should I get? Can I use concentrate?
If you use store bought apple juice, just get any juice you like that has NO PRESERVATIVES. That’s really important. Pasteurized is fine. Ascorbic acid is fine. Concentrate could be used, I believe, as long as the above rules are followed. I would recommend using filtered water to mix with the concentrate, so you don’t introduce any chlorine or off flavors into juice. That recommendation is not based on anything other than my intense hatred of my local tap water, though ;)

3) What about freshly pressed cider from my local orchard?
Sure thing. If it hasn’t been pasteurized, you’ll want to do a Campden tablet treatment to kill off any wild yeast, let it sit for something like 24 to 48 hours then use your own yeast to make the cider. Wild yeast will certainly work, but the flavor it will produce is impossible to guess. I think it’s generally accepted to use yeast with known properties.

4) Is yeast in the airlock ok?
Yes, just dump out the yeast, clean, sanitize and “refill” the airlock. All will be well.

5) OH NO! My cider had no airlock for X amount of time! My airlock was dry!
No worries, as long as it hasn’t been off for extended periods of time. I’ve left my airlock, for all intents and purposes, empty for 36 hours with no ill effects.

6) Should I use yeast nutrient?
Sure. If you don’t mind the extra expense (which is only a few dollars), it will help your yeast ferment your must much more quickly. I was told using nutrients means the difference between one week of fermentation and 3 to 4 weeks. I certainly recommend it, but it isn’t strictly necessary.

7) How does the cider taste after primary fermentation?
Simply awful. That said, after I tasted my first batch I’d thought I made a pretty big mistake my wife would never let me live down. After backsweetening and carbonating, the final product was nothing short of amazing to me. You should probably taste the cider right out of primary, just to get the experience, but prepare to be vastly underwhelmed!

8) Which yeast should I use?
This is a matter of some debate, everyone having their own favorites. I haven’t gotten nearly enough experience to know what to recommend, but for my first batches, I used EC-1118. It ferments dry. Ale yeast will often give a sweeter finish, I’m told, whereas wine or champagne yeast will be very dry. For your first batch, maybe just ask your local homebrew store for a reasonably inexpensive one and try a different one for the next batch. Any yeast will work, so don’t sweat the first batch too much. Think of it as a really exciting journey with excellent fringe benefits!

9) How long can my cider sit in Primary/Secondary/Bottles?
Functionally, there’s really not much limit. Cursory research in these forums tells me that weeks are not unreasonable, even up to a year or so before the quality degrades. I haven’t experienced this firsthand, mind you. I left mine in primary for a week and secondary for something like 2 to 3. It only gets better with age in my limited experience.

10) How much sugar should I use in primary?
Initially, I followed a recipe that called for a cup of sugar for a gallon batch. After having produced all of two batches, I currently theorize that the initial sugar is only going to boost your alcohol content and not really add to the taste. I fermented mine dry and backsweetened. A lot of recipes call for nothing more than the juice and no additional sugars. I’m going on the theory that sugar at the beginning doesn’t really affect the taste after fermentation, so unless you want a strong brew, adding additional sugar at the outset is functionally useless. If you don’t ferment it dry, then obviously, adding sugar will help the final product.

11) Ok, my cider is out of primary/secondary and ready to bottle. What now?
You can either kill the yeast with Campden tablets or similar products to bottle a still (non-carbonated) cider or, if you like carbonation, add some sugar to the cider before bottling. If you do this, you’re in a race against time. Too much carbonation can create bottle bombs. If you have the necessary equipment, you can also force carbonate after killing the yeast. If you naturally carbonate, you’ll likely want to pasteurize your bottles to kill the yeast and stop further carbonation. There is a FANTASTIC sticky at the top of this forum with a REALLY simple method for stove top pasteurizing cider. Read it. Please. I tried to summarize all the steps here.
Note: If you want a dry, carbonated cider it is possible to add just enough sugar to produce carbonation. The above applies mostly to sweet, carbonated cider using fermentable sugar.

12) So, how do I know when it’s done carbonating naturally?
The trick is to fill a plastic soda bottle with cider. When the soda bottle gets as firm as a store bought soda, it’s time to test your batch of cider. I always open a glass bottle to check for carb levels in the bottles. My first batch never really carbonated in the bottle even though the soda bottle got rock hard. My second batch was spot on, with both the soda bottle and glass bottle being equally carbonated. If your glass bottle isn’t carbed enough even though the soda bottle was, your only option is to open a glass bottle at intervals to test. . If you naturally carbonate, you’ll likely want to pasteurize your bottles to kill the yeast and stop further carbonation once you’ve reached a desired level of carbonation in your bottles.. There is a FANTASTIC sticky at the top of this forum with a REALLY simple method for stove top pasteurizing cider. Read it. Please.

13) Do I have to pasteurize my carbonated cider?
Technically, no. You can keep them cold, around 40 degrees or so, to keep the yeast dormant and no longer producing CO2. However, if they get warm again, the yeast could wake up and eventually make bottle bombs. Caution is necessary here.

14) When (and why) should I rack to secondary?
Racking to secondary should be done after the initial fermentation is done. Mostly, racking to secondary is done to clarify your cider or to let it age and mellow. You should make sure not to have “too much” headspace in your secondary vessel if you’re going to leave it in secondary more than a few weeks. Allowing too much air contact can have negative effects on the taste of the cider.

15)What, exactly, is backsweetening?
Backsweetening is the process of adding sugars and flavors to your cider. You can add almost any type of sugar - corn, cane, brown, honey, etc. You can also add frozen apple juice concentrate to add more apple flavor to your cider. Using natural sugars are a great idea if you plan to bottle carb. If you plan to bottle a still cider, force carbonate, or if you prefer to use an artificial sweetener, you could use non-fermentable sugar like xylitol (which is toxic to dogs), truvia, etc. You can also add other flavors if you wish, perhaps using 100%, pasteurized, preservative free juice - i.e. pomegranate, cherry, etc.

Based on my limited experience, I wanted to share some observations as well.

Going with 1 gallon batches is cheap and easy, but isn’t forgiving of mistakes. Mistakes like losing a pint of cider going from primary to secondary due to a siphon tube mishap. You also can’t really take a lot of hydrometer readings during the process, or taste it along the way or you could lose a lot of volume. 5 gallon batches allow for more scientific testing but are a little more expensive when starting out.

An auto siphon makes it very easy to transfer cider from primary to secondary, but isn’t strictly necessary.

Don’t fear the foam from sanitizing. It won’t affect the cider at all. Rinsing the foam out might introduce impurities you don’t want. At least, that’s what my brewing friends tell me!

If you have off flavors, you can make adjustments. If the cider is too dry, add more sweetener. If you have too much yeasty flavor, you can cold crash. If there isn't enough apple flavor, use some apple concentrate.

edit: added definitions, description of backsweetening, special thanks to pricelessbrewing for suggestions.
edit: added a note about dry, carbonated ciders in step 11, thanks, worlddivides

Solid introduction. I would suggest adding a basic recipe and listing a few yeasts; ale, wine, cider or champagne. Also I would add a bit more on back sweetening with concentrate.

Additional definition lees. Cider/wine equivalent to trub, which is yeast deposits of dead and flocullation as well as fine particles of yeast byproducts.

Lastly some trouble shooting tips for off flavors. Too dry, backsweeten more. Too much yeasty flavor, probably racked or bottled too soon or possibly disturbing the lees. Suggest cold crashing to compact yeast more. Not enough apple flavor, back sweeten with concentrate instead of sugar, or try another yeast, some yeasts strip more apple flavor than others. Some need more nutrients than other. Some end up dryer.

Nice job, but I am not sure that making a single gallon has the cons you mention. There is really no problem (IMO) in taking an hydrometer reading and pouring the cider back into the fermenting bottle. Beer makers seem to have apoplexy at the idea of returning a sample to the fermenter but wine makers are quite relaxed about this just as long as the thief, the hydrometer and the cylinder are all sanitized using k-meta or equivalent there is or should be no real problem in checking the gravity and indeed, if you use a gallon carboy the hydrometer can perhaps be inserted directly into the carboy if you are confident that you have a good way of extracting the device without creating any problems.

Nice FAQ, but I really don't understand why you think that naturally carbonating the cider in bottles will create "bottle bombs" or why you think it's a "race against time."

You should never ever bottle your cider, wine, or beer before the yeast has completely finished fermenting, which means that it has already converted all of the sugar to alcohol and CO2 that it will. When you bottle, you only put the amount of sugar (usually corn sugar, but you can use pretty much any kind of fermentable sugar) necessary for carbonation.

So, actually, you WANT the yeast to convert 100% of the sugar in the bottles into alcohol and CO2. But you want to only do this after all the sugar has been converted in primary and secondary. And you want to only add the amount of sugar you need for carbonation and no more than that (with the exception of non-fermentable sugar, of course).

If I'm misreading what you wrote, please let me know, but it seems to be suggesting that you're bottling the cider when there is still sugar in there that the yeast will ferment.

Nice job, but I am not sure that making a single gallon has the cons you mention. There is really no problem (IMO) in taking an hydrometer reading and pouring the cider back into the fermenting bottle. Beer makers seem to have apoplexy at the idea of returning a sample to the fermenter but wine makers are quite relaxed about this just as long as the thief, the hydrometer and the cylinder are all sanitized using k-meta or equivalent there is or should be no real problem in checking the gravity and indeed, if you use a gallon carboy the hydrometer can perhaps be inserted directly into the carboy if you are confident that you have a good way of extracting the device without creating any problems.

Until a few days ago, I had no easy and viable way to extract enough liquid to do a test. Even with a siphon, I'm still leery of doing extractions for fear of losing an appreciable amount of liquid. I agree that sanitizing properly should allow you to put the extracted liquid back, but do you think there's a worry about introducing oxygen back into the process with re-pouring?

Nice FAQ, but I really don't understand why you think that naturally carbonating the cider in bottles will create "bottle bombs" or why you think it's a "race against time."

You should never ever bottle your cider, wine, or beer before the yeast has completely finished fermenting, which means that it has already converted all of the sugar to alcohol and CO2 that it will. When you bottle, you only put the amount of sugar (usually corn sugar, but you can use pretty much any kind of fermentable sugar) necessary for carbonation.

So, actually, you WANT the yeast to convert 100% of the sugar in the bottles into alcohol and CO2. But you want to only do this after all the sugar has been converted in primary and secondary. And you want to only add the amount of sugar you need for carbonation and no more than that (with the exception of non-fermentable sugar, of course).

If I'm misreading what you wrote, please let me know, but it seems to be suggesting that you're bottling the cider when there is still sugar in there that the yeast will ferment.

Unless you want more or less completely dry cider (and some do), then you'll have to backsweeten with more sugar than will be required for simple carbonation. Most backsweetening threads start with "add apple juice concentrate" which I'm positive will add more than enough sugar for carbonation - and thus bottle bombs. Read the stove top pasteurization thread. When they talk of "gushers", that's got to be the product of "too much" sugar for simple carbonation. I like my ciders *very* sweet, so... bottling + time = bottle bombs. I take your point, however, about bottling a dry cider with priming sugar only. Perhaps I'll amend that portion of the faq.

Unless you want more or less completely dry cider (and some do), then you'll have to backsweeten with more sugar than will be required for simple carbonation. Most backsweetening threads start with "add apple juice concentrate" which I'm positive will add more than enough sugar for carbonation - and thus bottle bombs. Read the stove top pasteurization thread. When they talk of "gushers", that's got to be the product of "too much" sugar for simple carbonation. I like my ciders *very* sweet, so... bottling + time = bottle bombs. I take your point, however, about bottling a dry cider with priming sugar only. Perhaps I'll amend that portion of the faq.

I have read the stove top pasteurization thread and it's definitely an interesting idea, but it's certainly not one of the most common methods. Very resourceful on the part of the guy who came up with that specific method. I've found that generally the people who want very sweet cider use non-fermentable sweeteners, which includes both complex sugars that are natural but that the brewer's yeast is incapable of fermenting (but that other strains of yeast or bacteria could ferment if they got in there somehow) and artificial sugars (which could arguably be considered natural, although they are certainly not what is typically thought of as "sugar"). Then, there is also the option of having a sweet cider that is flat, which would be an unpleasant prospect in beer (which are universally carbonated), but not in wines, mead, and cider, which are more commonly not carbonated, but also have commonly have "sparkling" versions (My guess would be that over 90% of wines are uncarbonated).

Anyway, like I said, I think you have a good FAQ, but that there are some misleading parts in it. It might be a good idea to keep adding to it and modifying it. :mug:

I have read the stove top pasteurization thread and it's definitely an interesting idea, but it's certainly not one of the most common methods. Very resourceful on the part of the guy who came up with that specific method. I've found that generally the people who want very sweet cider use non-fermentable sweeteners, which includes both complex sugars that are natural but that the brewer's yeast is incapable of fermenting (but that other strains of yeast or bacteria could ferment if they got in there somehow) and artificial sugars (which could arguably be considered natural, although they are certainly not what is typically thought of as "sugar"). Then, there is also the option of having a sweet cider that is flat, which would be an unpleasant prospect in beer (which are universally carbonated), but not in wines, mead, and cider, which are more commonly not carbonated, but also have commonly have "sparkling" versions (My guess would be that over 90% of wines are uncarbonated).

Anyway, like I said, I think you have a good FAQ, but that there are some misleading parts in it. It might be a good idea to keep adding to it and modifying it. :mug:
Thanks for the feedback.

For the record, I don't like artificial sweeteners, hence my use of natural sugars.

I back sweeten with frozen juice concentrate.

Sent from a planet far far away.....

GREAT FAQ!

My second batch is finishing primary this week so this information is very helpful. I was wondering why my ale yeast wasn't fermenting below 1.002. Thank you for covering the difference in yeasts.

When it comes time to back sweeten, I haven't used artificial sugars either (just concentrate). I keep opening, testing and recapping (when sanitary). It's surprising how fast carbing happens and how much of the sweet flavor carbing takes out of the cider. I plan to pasteurize this batch.

Thank you for the information. It's a great post!

It's not the carbing that removes the sweetness it's the fermentation of the sugar. When you add sugar to carbonate you are in fact asking the cider (or beer or mead or wine) to continue fermenting but in a closed system that prevents the CO2 produced as a by-product of fermentation to escape. That trapped CO2 will cause the effervescence in the bottle upon opening. BUT the yeast used to eat the priming sugar won't stop with that sugar and will continue to convert any residual sugar to alcohol and CO2, thus removing any sweetness.
That, and the fact that CO2 produces carbonic (I think ) acid in the cider then adds to the acidity of the cider and that increase in acidity works to counterbalance any residual sweetness making it seem less sweet.

It's not the carbing that removes the sweetness it's the fermentation of the sugar. When you add sugar to carbonate you are in fact asking the cider (or beer or mead or wine) to continue fermenting but in a closed system that prevents the CO2 produced as a by-product of fermentation to escape. That trapped CO2 will cause the effervescence in the bottle upon opening. BUT the yeast used to eat the priming sugar won't stop with that sugar and will continue to convert any residual sugar to alcohol and CO2, thus removing any sweetness.
That, and the fact that CO2 produces carbonic (I think ) acid in the cider then adds to the acidity of the cider and that increase in acidity works to counterbalance any residual sweetness making it seem less sweet.

My bad, I misspoke so correct me to say that I'm surprised at how much of the sweet flavor the 'carbonating process' takes out of the cider. I should know better by now as I think I've read over 100 different forum articles at this point.

bump for a crop of new cider makers. hopefully it's as helpful as I think it is. ;)

Back