First Time Brewing Failure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red1992v6rs

Reaction score
Ok, so I feel like an idiot right now... I just brewed my second 1-gallon batch today, a honey wheat partial. I thought I was doing fine until it came to putting the wort in the carboy. I transferred without straining the hops, and pitched the rehydrated yeast before realizing it. I also drove the stopper into the carboy. So, put the wort back into the brew pot and used the old plastic bag trick to retrieve the stopper. Finally, I retransferred the wort into the carboy, straining the hops while doing so. Do you think I should have to re-pitch more yeast? I originally pitched Danstar Windsor and Nottingham in the fridge if I need it. Or should I wait a day or two and see if I get fermentation? Any help would be great!!!

Ok, so I feel like an idiot right now... I just brewed my second 1-gallon batch today, a honey wheat partial. I thought I was doing fine until it came to putting the wort in the carboy. I transferred without straining the hops, and pitched the rehydrated yeast before realizing it. I also drove the stopper into the carboy. So, put the wort back into the brew pot and used the old plastic bag trick to retrieve the stopper. Finally, I retransferred the wort into the carboy, straining the hops while doing so. Do you think I should have to re-pitch more yeast? I originally pitched Danstar Windsor and Nottingham in the fridge if I need it. Or should I wait a day or two and see if I get fermentation? Any help would be great!!!

It was fine from the beginning. The stopper in the carboy won't hurt, unless you don't have any foil or another stopper to cover the carboy with. Then I could see retrieving it, but I'd just use foil.

The hops in the wort don't matter, either, as I never strain my hops out of my wort and my beer is pretty good.

It couldn't hurt to pitch more yeast if you think you strained it all out. Sounds like the stopper you have isn't the right size! Also, I recommend you get a hop bag for your next brew, but that's just my opinion.

Let it ride.

All you did was aerate the wort more and clean up the trub a bit. You'll still have enough yeast in the wort unless you ran it through some crazy fine filter.

Congrats, you made beer!

I've never strained out the hops. My beer turns out fine. I siphon from the brew kettle into the fermenter (or sometimes just pour), then siphon from the fermenter into the bottle bucket, or just bottle out of the 1 gallon fermenters. I doubt you strained out much of the yeast. They're little buggers.

Thanks for the quick responses. Like I said, this is only my second time so I expect a few of these hiccups. I used a rather fine strainer, but I think some yeast should have made it through. Is there any harm if I re-pitch in a couple days if fermentation doesn't take off? Especially with a different yeast strain?

Unless you used a filter measured in microns, I can assure you that you strained out little, if any, yeast. Let it ride, it will be fine.

It's just about 26 hours after pitch and it's a bubbler. So, I guess it should be ok. Thanks for your help and encouragement every one. Much appreciated!

Back