First time brewing a stout and using WLP004

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paquitin

Reaction score
I brewed this past weekend my first Dry Irish Stout.
Recipe:
6 lbs 13 oz Maris Otter
2 lbs flaked barley
1 lbs roasted barley
6 oz black barley
BIAB
Mashed for 90 minutes at 152 and mashed out 168.
SG 1.042
FG 1.011
Pitched 2 vials of wlp004 expiration date may 23 2013 and fermenting at a steady 68F.
Four hours after pitching yeast I had some airlock movement. Monday night I had a very vigorous fermentation. When I checked last night airlock movement had slowed significantly. A small krausent started to develop but it is none exciting today. I took a reading last night and it is at 1.020.
Is this normal of all dry stouts?,Is this typical of WLP004? Or did I do something wrong?

There is some airlock movement, a bible every 3 seconds. Hope that that is enough to get it down to where I need it. Can anyone help out?
Thanks

All you need to do is wait. It has only been a couple of days. It will keep fermenting, though it probably won't look like it is doing anything. Take a hydrometer reading after 2 weeks and see where you're at.

sherma said:
All you need to do is wait. It has only been a couple of days. It will keep fermenting, though it probably won't look like it is doing anything. Take a hydrometer reading after 2 weeks and see where you're at.

Thanks for the advise.

Back