First Time Brewing a NEIPA and Needing Recipe Advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer021175666

Reaction score
Hi.
I am an all grain brewer and wanting to do my first Hazy IPA (NEIPA). I would like some help developing a 10 gal. recipe that is simple for a first timer. I been brewing for years so, if your recipe is NOT so simple, I can probably manage. I really like anything juicy, citrusy, etc. Here is a list of things I have on hand right now that I think would or might apply well to the style:

Grains:
2 row malt
white wheat malt
crystal 40L
Munich 10L
rolled oats

Hops:
cascade
sorachi ace
citra
idaho gem
chinook
CTZ
el dorado

Can you guys give me a recipe that would be good or possibly FREAKIN' AMAZING! with the ingredients I have? ONe more thing... I only have a 10 gal tun so, I'd like to keep the whole grain bill at 22LB or less. I have ran it up to 25LB once but, it's right at the top.
Thank You, All.

Off the top of my head, I’d go with two row, white wheat, and rolled oats at about 85, 10, and 5% respectively. Amounts up to you depending on the ABV you’re shooting for.

Hops CTZ, and Idaho or Citra. Lots of them, and Pretty much all late additions.

Agree with Ogilthrope on recipe. For NEIPA, lots of whirlpool hops (or hop stand after the boil) and lots for dry hop, usually two additions, one at high krausen in fermentation and one a few days before kegging or bottling. Water is key too for that soft mouthfeel in NEIPA's...usually you want chlorides to be 2x more than sulfates which is the complete opposite then a normal IPA. But without knowing your water profile, can't say much on that besides, maybe to add a teaspoon or two of Calcium Chloride.

jdauria,
Thank you.
I have together a recipe and hop schedule. My grain bill is about where Ogilthorpe2 said to get it and its 13ozs. of hops total. Hope it does well. Anyhow, the water chemestry is the thing I know the least about and therfore, the thing I'm having most trouble with. Can you tell me how to check or test my water and how to correct it if its not good for the NEIPA? I have hot tub strips. Would they come in handy for this?

I'm going to research this some today on my own, too. Hopefully, I'll have a better understanding when we talk again.

Have you seen this thread? 330 page ACTIVE thread 100% devoted to the NEIPA crhaze. It also (assuming you're using distilled/RO water) gives you some 'ballpark' water additions. Cheers!

That is my brew partner, Stitch. I wanted a new bird dog and my wife wanted a frenchie so we compromised and I have to walk out and retrieve my own ducks lol. She's awesome though. We'll always have one :)

Attachments

• PC280081.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
Have you seen this thread? 330 page ACTIVE thread 100% devoted to the NEIPA crhaze. It also (assuming you're using distilled/RO water) gives you some 'ballpark' water additions. Cheers!
Great thread! To clarify though, you don’t need to be using distilled or ro water to build a water profile, You can Just as easily build from tap water as long as you’ve had your water analyzed or if your municipal puts out a detailed water report.

Great thread! To clarify though, you don’t need to be using distilled or ro water to build a water profile, You can Just as easily build from tap water as long as you’ve had your water analyzed or if your municipal puts out a detailed water report.

I was only suggesting RO/distilled because OP includes the Teaspoon measurements incase someone else doesn't have a scale or have access to their local water reports. Unfortunately my local water utility puts out a very thorough water report - a month late, and it's significantly different month to month :( I'd love to be able to use my tap water. At $1/gallon distilled is getting expensive

I was only suggesting RO/distilled because OP includes the Teaspoon measurements incase someone else doesn't have a scale or have access to their local water reports. Unfortunately my local water utility puts out a very thorough water report - a month late, and it's significantly different month to month :( I'd love to be able to use my tap water. At $1/gallon distilled is getting expensive
When it comes to brew water, the best bet is to install an RO system. Starting with RO and adding salts (Calcium Chloride & Calcium Sulfate, et el) will undoubtably give the best consistency brew to brew. Then look at the cost of a RO system(~$150) and a 30 gallon water storage barrel(~$100)(you need to fill prior to brew day, RO systems have low production rates) verse the purchase cost of RO or distilled water, the travel expenses, and the bottle water you might buy to drink at home. Yes a RO system and storage may cost $250, but the alternative costs after 10 batches of beer would be even higher. Plus you would have better coffee, a coffee machine that would last forever, and great tasting water without the trips to the store for bottled water. Or you could just move to Waterford, NY, but then again all municipal water system do use bromine or chlorine type disinfectants. Try it.

Do you have a local Culligan Water? At our local Culligan you can pre-pay, say $100 and then draw down on your account at ~30 cents/gallon. You can buy large, (I think 5 gallon) containers from them, or just bring your own.

That is my brew partner, Stitch. I wanted a new bird dog and my wife wanted a frenchie so we compromised and I have to walk out and retrieve my own ducks lol. She's awesome though. We'll always have one :)
Awe! What a pertty girl!
This is my brew partner. 8lb full grown Imperial ShiTzu. A lot of people think I'm weird now because I raised pitbulls for my whole life! Got first shitzu out of pity for the dog because she was owned by an elderly lady who couldn't take care of her anymore. I fell in love with them and I am now on my third one!

Attachments

• IMG_20170330_132624.jpg
    IMG_20170330_132624.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 12
lol I love those little 'Chewbarka' dogs :) it's funny she's an 'imperian' since she's so tiny and imperial beers are huge...I'm easily amused...

We live just off the main drag in a up and coming part of town. 3 breweries, a couple dozen restaurants and a ton of bars. Stitch has become a celebrity up there. All the breweries run out to give her a spent grain treat, all the girls want to pet her (I should have gotten a frenchie when I was single, though! lol). Dogs aren't allowed in places here but they all make an exception for her. Spoiled rotten! It's strange though. Everyone either thinks she's a pug or a newborn baby pitbull. I used to correct them and now I just go with it. Everyone knows her name and I'm a complete stranger lol

I would challenge "just as easily" because tap water usually has high chlorine/chloramine to kill off bacteria and you need potassum or sodium metabisulfite (Capden) to knock that out which screws with your chloride/sulfate ratio control, Secondly, tap water varies with time/season/treatment. Your report is just a snapshot in time. While I can't argue with success, it would more a matter of luck than control.

I would challenge "just as easily" because tap water usually has high chlorine/chloramine to kill off bacteria and you need potassum or sodium metabisulfite (Capden) to knock that out which screws with your chloride/sulfate ratio control, Secondly, tap water varies with time/season/treatment. Your report is just a snapshot in time. While I can't argue with success, it would more a matter of luck than control.
Very aware of tap water having chlorine. That said Camden will Absolutely have a negligible effect on your brewing water. You do realize that at least 95% of breweries use municipal or well water and treat it. Granted they can analyze their water on the spot. But yes when you know your numbers, it is just as easy.

“Palmer and Kaminski say, for instance, if you are eliminating a typical 3ppm residual chlorine, you need 9.4ppm K-meta, and will result in 3ppm Cl, 8ppm SO4, 1.5ppm ammonium (yeast nutrient) and 4.2ppm total alkalinity.”

Last edited:
Back