First Time Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
I brewed my first beer and all went remarkebly well until now. It was an extract beer with grains used only for steeping, it was a pale ale type recipe. The OG was 1.041. It went well and started fermenting overnight in the am the air-lock was bubbling away. Got home from work and now the bulb in the air lock is pushed up with co2 but not bubbling vigorously. Is this normal. The gravity is now at 1.020. Should I rack to secondary now or wait a bit longer. As a first time brewer I don't know? By the way my fermenting temp is around 75 degrees a bit high I think can this have caused it.

It could probably be a bit cooler but 70 degrees should be just fine.

Don't worry about it. Let it sit in the primary for a full week even if there's no activity and the krausen has fallen. Rack to the secondary after a full 7 days. It'll just mean less sedement in your secondary. Much more if you rack it now.

2-3 days is about the minimum for the primary fermentation. I've had ferments stop and restart before, so I tend to let them sit of 5-7 days regardless of the lack of action.

I only let my first (the previous one) sit in the primary a couple of days after lots o' bubblin'. I wish I'd waited the full week. Let it rest. Visit occasionally (without cracking it open) drink another beer and wait the full week.

Oh, and make sure you're drinking something from a reusable bottle... no can beer for you, my friend! ;)

catfish said:
Oh, and make sure you're drinking something from a reusable bottle... no can beer for you, my friend! ;)

You know.. I actually find myself purchasing commercial beers with the bottle being one of deciding factors!

I was really craving a dark beer last night, so I stopped at the store on my way home from work, looking for a porter 6-pack. Unfortunately, the only porters that had were Sammy Smiths (clear bottle) and Yeungling's (twist-off). I ended up coming home with a pale ale instead, because I can re-use the bottles.

Weird, huh?

-walker

Walker said:
You know.. I actually find myself purchasing commercial beers with the bottle being one of deciding factors!

I was really craving a dark beer last night, so I stopped at the store on my way home from work, looking for a porter 6-pack. Unfortunately, the only porters that had were Sammy Smiths (clear bottle) and Yeungling's (twist-off). I ended up coming home with a pale ale instead, because I can re-use the bottles.

Weird, huh?

-walker
Reminds me of when I first "noticed" a pack of Grolsch. It went along the lines of "woo, cool, swing-tops" followed by "woo, it even has beer in it" ;)

Thanks for all the help it sets my mind at ease. Next question I was reading about partial mashing, which I would like to try next. Is it possible to do this with sparge bags is should I just do the cook and strain and sparge in the strainer. This forum rocks thanks for all your help I love this new hobby. I've been buying pop tops for the last few weeks now. I don't think I'll drink a bud again.

Back