First time brew, starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jms5180

Reaction score
Hey all. First time Brew here. I put 1.5 cups DME and 1.5 qt water preboil. I didnt top off after for risk of contaminating. I think my volume is a little low but I pitched my White labs yeast and its a little frothy at the top. cloudy in the rest and seems to be forming a little bit of a white band at the bottom. Only been 6 hours or so but wanted to make sure I'm good to go. didnt take an OG reading as the hydrometer takes so much liquid and I had boiled off so much. Pitched at the proper temperature. I know I'm being paranoid but I should be good to go(after another 16 hours or so)?

BTW the yeast was fresh form the store a day old, best by date was still a few months from now

At a wy yeast class the instructor says 36 hours at 68-72f for starters. If you dont have a stir plate, get one. I bring 2000ml or 2 liters of water to a boil then slowly add approx 1 cup of DME boil for 15 minutes, sanatize 2000ml beaker by using star san in a spray bottle after washing in soap and water. Then fill sink with obout 2 gallons of water and some ice, set pot in ice batch, brings it down pretty quick to 68-72f then i use a small battery powered drink mixer to oxygenate, pitch yeast. Set on stir plate and keep at 70f in my fermentation chamber, Small area heated with a 60 watt light buld and thermostat. wait three days and now ready for brew day.

Latest posts

Back