First time bottling...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCartelli

Reaction score
So tomorrow I am supposed to bottle my first home brew, the Caribou Slobber Brown Ale from Northern Brewer. There is no activity going on in the jug for a few days now, at least visibly. There is a pretty thick layer on the bottom of the jug and a small amount of excess floating on top. Is it all systems go or should I wait a little longer (its been two weeks)? Total newby question I know but I want to nail this so I have confidence to attempt more. Thanks in advance for any help.

The only way to know is to check the gravity a few days in a row. If it's stable, it is done. If it continues to drop, wait longer.

If you do not have a hydrometer, you should buy one for your next brew. MOST beers should be done in 2 weeks assuming good fermentation conditions, but you can't know for certain without measuring gravities.

If you have not taken a gravity reading, I would wait another week just in case. the last thing you want on any beer - let alone your first - is bottle bombs.

Check the SG twice w/one day in between. If no change then the "ferment" is done, but the yeast might not be done cleaning themselves up. So I'm for a three week wait before bottling. You should get a cleaner beer if you don't suck up trub when you rack.

Bottled it up tonight. The auto-siphon definitely defeated me but eventually I was successful. Tasted it too and was beyond thrilled at how good it was. Let the waiting begin!

Opened one up tonight. Definitely not as carbonated as I would have liked, pretty much zero head but it tasted great. Going to let the rest sit another week and try again.

Tried another one tonight. Definitely some more carbonation in there but when I poured it out the head pretty much disintegrated within seconds. Thoughts, opinions or suggestions?

It's been my experience that more time in the bottle = better head formation & retention. my beers are very well carbed @ 2-3 wks but not much head til 6-8 wks.
also, it seems that more chill time helps as well. 2 wks in the fridge is better than a day or two.

Caribou Slobber @ 7 months in the bottle

IMG_20151021_213043574_HDR.jpg

Back