First time barrel aging: problem? / prep questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxp

Reaction score
Yesterday, I received a recently emptied 8g whiskey barrel; apparently one of the staves is cracked and has previously leaked some of the barrel's contents (see attached). This is my first experience with a barrel, so sor those of you who have done barrel aging previously:
  1. Is this a common issue? Should I worry enough to try to get it replaced or are the mitigation steps?
  2. If not, then I expect my imperial stout will be ready for aging in two weeks. Will I need to re-sanitize and re-swell prior or will this be little enough time that it should be good to go from the the previous use?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20150830_194128.jpg

Hey there RXP,

If the barrel was recently emptied you will likely be ok as far as sanitation is concerned. That high proof whiskey has already taken care of those issues for ya.
With the cracked stave though I can only tell you what I would do. It will hopefully take care of that issue and help sanitize your barrel as well.

Fill that puppy up with water thats heated to 180F and let it sit on one end overnight. It will probably leak like crazy. Then repeat the process on the other end for another 12 hours or so. Give it a few days longer if needed. If it works leave the water in there until your beer is ready to rack. This should seal up that barrel.

If that doesn't do the trick you may need to take this one to a higher authority. But I hope it works out easy for ya and some killer beer comes from it!

Happy Brewing.

No problemo.

If that doesn't work you could also try using non-toxic food safe caulk/epoxy on that stave. The local hardware store where I live didn't have any unfortunately but I ordered it online.

I didn't use it on a barrel but it worked for my project none the less. Let us know how it goes and good luck!

Doesn't filling it up with water rid the barrel from most of its whiskey, one of the main reasons to put a Stout in it?

From what I have read and experienced no it wouldn't. But Im sure if you flushed hot water in and our multiple times over a long period of time that could happen. Even then I have heard of people intentionally trying to get the flavor out of rum barrels with a similar process and they had little to no luck.

Once you age a high proof alcohol in a barrel for long enough it soaks into the wood to the point where you almost cant get it out.

Back