first time all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kampo

Reaction score
OK going to try all grain this week. Going to do a biab with what I have. I have a 22 at pot I've been using for extract. Comfortable boiling 4 gallons in it.

So thinking of doing a simple 2-row smash.

10lb 2-row mashed for 60 min @155 in 3 gallons of water
Sparge into a second pot of 170. That pot would have about 1.5 gallons in it. Combine sparge water and mash should be around 4-4.25 gallons.

Hops prolly going to be centennial or cascade ( gotta look at what I got) will shoot for 35ish ibus

Then top up with ice to 5.5 gallons. Does this process seem about right?

OK going to try all grain this week. Going to do a biab with what I have. I have a 22 at pot I've been using for extract. Comfortable boiling 4 gallons in it.

So thinking of doing a simple 2-row smash.

10lb 2-row mashed for 60 min @155 in 3 gallons of water
Sparge into a second pot of 170. That pot would have about 1.5 gallons in it. Combine sparge water and mash should be around 4-4.25 gallons.

Hops prolly going to be centennial or cascade ( gotta look at what I got) will shoot for 35ish ibus

Then top up with ice to 5.5 gallons. Does this process seem about right?

Hello, Don't forget about water loss do to grain absorption, you will loose around 1/2 gallon+, just a rough estaminet, I would use as much water as you can get into the first sparge with the grain, makes it much easy'r to stir the grain in the bag.

Also I would hang bag and let drip, then squeeze the heck out of the bag to get as much fermentable wort out after your dunk sparge.

I also split up my grain between 2 or even 3 bags (5 gal ea.) when doing BIAB, makes it easy'r to handle the weight of the wet grain.

Should be a good beer, I absolutely love doing SMaSH beers, they are some of the best beers, my favorite is 10lbs Vienna/Northern Brewer Hops 1/2oz@60, 1/3oz@20, 1/3oz@5, German Lager yeast.

Hope these tips help

Cheers :mug:

Yeah I was factoring in the water loss you speak of.

I like the seperate bag idea might do that. I have been using 5 gallon paint strainers from Lowes for specialty grains was thinking I could just use one of those

I'll see what I can rig up to hang it. Might just take place of my "arm workout" for the night lmao.

Yeah I was factoring in the water loss you speak of.

I like the seperate bag idea might do that. I have been using 5 gallon paint strainers from Lowes for specialty grains was thinking I could just use one of those

Thats what I use too, they work just fine.

Cheers :mug:

Back