first shot at making wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drinkdrankpunk

Reaction score
so this is my first time trying to make wine. I tried to make some peach wine. it started out at 1.087 on the 26 of oct and today 30 oct it was at 1.017 so I pulled it out of the bucket and got the fruit out and put it in this 1 gallon glass jug. from the instructions I am following it should sit here for about two months then transfer again to another clean secondary. My question is and I read a bunch of threads that explain that peach wine stinks so I didn't get worried about the foul smell anymore but will it go away? Also will it clear up or no?

The smell will subside. Once fermentation ends, it will start to clear.

Siphon off the liquid once you see some noticeable sediment building up. Continue doing so until the sediment stops.

Don't forget to dose with a Camden tablet or potassium metabisulfite every other racking.

Most all wines will clearify on their own over time. Some faster than others. Sometimes during fermentation, you'll get a sort of foul odor. I don't have any first hand experience with that but I wouldn't worry too much about the smell just yet.

The smell will subside. Once fermentation ends, it will start to clear.

Siphon off the liquid once you see some noticeable sediment building up. Continue doing so until the sediment stops.

Don't forget to dose with a Camden tablet or potassium metabisulfite every other racking.

I used a Camden tablet while making it when I mixed all the ingredients together. so I still need to use one every other time I transfer it?

holy cow!! I tried a few drops of this stuff as I was getting a gravity reading tonight, it is terrible. the smell is not as strong but still there and this stuff is undrinkable at this stage. I am gonna put it in the basement and forget about it for a while and see what happens.
Is peach a bad one to start with? I just followed the instructions from a winemakers recipe handbook that came with some stuff I got from Midwest brewing but I really wonder if I messed this up or am I just being too impatient?

Also do not forget about it, ya will still need to keep an eye on it, to make sure nothing bad is going on in there.

drinkdrankpunk said:
holy cow!! I tried a few drops of this stuff as I was getting a gravity reading tonight, it is terrible. the smell is not as strong but still there and this stuff is undrinkable at this stage. I am gonna put it in the basement and forget about it for a while and see what happens. Is peach a bad one to start with? I just followed the instructions from a winemakers recipe handbook that came with some stuff I got from Midwest brewing but I really wonder if I messed this up or am I just being too impatient?

It's way to early to judge it. Let it clear with time. Rack as often as sediment builds up on the bottom.

Don't taste until the spring. You'll be surprised!

Back