First recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo

Reaction score
So I'm putting together my first 100% from scratch recipe and would like a more experienced person to chime in and let me know if anything needs adjusted. Here goes it:

5.5 gal batch
70% efficiency

9 lbs MO
1 lb Carmel 20L
.75 lb Crystal 60L

.5 oz Centennial @ 60 min
.5 oz Centennial @ 30 min
.25 oz Cascade @ 10 min
.5 oz Cascade @ flame out

Mash @ 150* for 60 min
Mashout
2 batch sparges

Not sure what yeast to use but I have US-05 and WLP005 on hand. I'd like to use a new yeast to grow my stock of washed yeast. My LHBS carries White Labs and not Wyeast.

According to Beersmith, this would be in the American Pale Ale category which is fine with me :)

So... what say the experts? Thanks!

I personally would cut back on the crystal a little bit, but maybe that's just me. Other than bit of personal choice, I think it looks fine.

I applaud you for keeping your first recipe simple!

The grain bill will be good baseline for a pale ale and you can tweak it after you make it the first time to help learn more about the various grains and what they contribute. (Example, the next time you make it, take out 1lb of the MO and replace it with one lb of Vienna or Munich or something.)

Agree w/ Walker.
Howzsa bout .5 # of each crystal ?

Maris otter is more complex than standard two-row. So it could be too malty/sweet with that much crystal.

Now, yeast is where the party is at! You have American hops so S/05 is the natural go to dry yeast. It would be fun, if you had two fermenters, to split the batch: one half with us 05 and the other with the English dry yeast s04.

Then you can compare. I mention this because you have an English pale malt (m.o.)

cheers!

So I'm putting together my first 100% from scratch recipe and would like a more experienced person to chime in and let me know if anything needs adjusted. Here goes it:

5.5 gal batch
70% efficiency

9 lbs MO
1 lb Carmel 20L
.75 lb Crystal 60L

.5 oz Centennial @ 60 min
.5 oz Centennial @ 30 min
.25 oz Cascade @ 10 min
.5 oz Cascade @ flame out

Mash @ 150* for 60 min
Mashout
2 batch sparges

Not sure what yeast to use but I have US-05 and WLP005 on hand. I'd like to use a new yeast to grow my stock of washed yeast. My LHBS carries White Labs and not Wyeast.

According to Beersmith, this would be in the American Pale Ale category which is fine with me :)

So... what say the experts? Thanks!

+1 to walker good simple recipe
Going to have a malty middle with the MO and crystal, A bit much 60 IMHO I would throw in a half lb of carapils too, but only because i really like head and lacing. I love centennial as a bittering addition as its one of the nicer bittering hops (no early bitterness after ferm)

All good suggestions...Thanks! I think I'll heed the advice and reduce both crystals to .5 lb and maybe up the MO to 10 lbs.

For now, I'll leave the carapils out just to keep it open to experiment with if I decide to brew this recipe with minor changes in the future.

I like the idea of using two yeasts. I'm thinking about scaling this up to 10 gal batch and use two fermenters with different yeasts. I did a 2-Row/Columbus SMaSH as my last brew, used US-05 for the bulk but had some wort that wouldn't fit into my bucket, so I put it in a 1 gal carboy and used the WLP005. It's still a little on the green side, but the beer with the WLP005 seems a lot more balanced than the US-05 beer.

What are peoples opinions on the WLP051 - California Ale V Yeast with a grain and hop bill listed above?

Latest posts

Back