First Recipe: Extract IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sloobie

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to homebrewing. I've done a number of ingredient kits, but I really want to get into making my own recipes. So I've done my homework and put together what I feel to be a pretty basic IPA recipe. I was hoping to maybe get critiques or suggestions as to how to make it better (particularly concerning what yeast to use, as my yeast knowledge is somewhat lacking). I've tried to build it based on what I know my local supply store has.

Brew type: Extract with specialty grains
OG: 1.070
Estimated FG: 1.017
Estimated %ABV: 7.1
IBUs: 76.2

1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt 40L
3.75 lbs Amber Liquid Extract
3 lbs Light Dry Malt Extract
1 lb Light Dry Malt Extract (Late addition)

60 min:
1 oz Chinook
1 oz Galena

45 min:
.5 oz Cascade

30 min:
.5 oz Cascade

10 min:
.5 oz Cascade

Primary ferment about 7 days and then rack to secondary with .5 oz Cascade dry hopping for about 2 weeks.

Like I said, though, I'm not entirely sure which yeast to use. I have the recipe as Munton's Premium gold with high attenuation and medium flocculation. I may go for greater variety in my hops, but I felt cascade was a safe choice. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Many brewers have moved away from 45min and 30 minute additions since it's kind of inefficient in terms of hop utilization. If you want it to bitter, throw it in for the full boil. If you want it to flavor, add it at 15 minutes. If you want the aroma, throw it in for 5 minutes or less.

Yea it's a 'safe' recipe but it's your first so don't over think it.

I'd definitely NOT use amber DME, as it has crystal malt in it, and maybe other malts, but you don't know how much or what kind. You'd be better using light or extra light DME and using the crystal malt you have in the recipe. You could be doubling up on the crystal malt with the stuff in the amber DME and not realize it.

I'd change the hops to a schedule that uses bittering hops, flavor hops, and aroma hops. I think 45 minutes and 30 minute hops are usually sort of a waste, since you get no flavor from them, but not that much in the way of bitterness either since they aren't boiled for 60 minutes. I'd change that up, and add more hops near the end of the boil.

I'd toss the Munton's and buy a better quality, well attenuating ale yeast, like Safale S05.

I'd do this:

Brew type: Extract with specialty grains

1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt 40L
3.3 lbs pale Liquid Extract (AT FLAME OUT!)
4 lbs Light Dry Malt Extract

60 min:
1 oz chinook OR galena, not both

1 oz cascade 15 min
1 oz cascade 5 min
1 oz cascade flame out
1 oz cascade dryhopping 5 days before packaging

Back