First Recipe Crit- Sweet As Clone... sort of

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sklar

Reaction score
So, I brewed my first all-grain (BIAB) beer the other week, so I thought I would try to start designing my recipes.

This is sort of based on Goodlife Brewery's Sweet As Pacific Ale which lists the following ingredients:
Malt: NW Two Row, White Wheat, Briess Vienna
Hops: Pacifica, Galaxy

I used brewtarget to help. I guessed about %60 efficiency

Here is my take:
OG 1.066
FG 1.016
ABV 6.4
IBU 40

All-grain (BAIB), 5 gal batch size.
10lbs 2-row
3lbs vienna
2.5lbs wheat malt

I'm way less sure on the hops (both hop choice and schedule) I subbed in hops that i think would work well and that my lhbs has, so feel free to throw suggestions my way

1oz cascade @ 50
1oz ahtanum @15
1oz cascade @10
1oz ahtanum @5

Please throw any suggestions my way they are appreciated!

This is what I ended up brewing on friday, it's now in the carboy chugging away:

OG 1.066
FG 1.016
ABV 6.4
IBU 40

All-grain (BAIB), 5 gal batch size.
10lbs 2-row
3lbs vienna
2lbs wheat malt

1oz Cascasde @20
1oz citra @15
1oz cascade @ 10
1oz citra @ 1

Planning on dryhopping 1oz cascade, 1oz citra

Hi,
I never had this beer, but looking on the website it sounds delicious.
One sidenote though, on the website it states that it has 18 IBU and you made the ale with 40 IBU.
Did you do that on purpose and how do you think the outcome will be i.e. differ from the original?
Cheers

Hi,
I never had this beer, but looking on the website it sounds delicious.
One sidenote though, on the website it states that it has 18 IBU and you made the ale with 40 IBU.
Did you do that on purpose and how do you think the outcome will be i.e. differ from the original?
Cheers

A little bit on purpose, yea, I'd like a touch more bitterness, pretty much making my recipe be a pale ale.
I am going to try one next week and see how it turned out!

Tried it for the first time today.
It's pretty tasty

Next time I'd go with more late additions, maybe another oz each of citra and cascade, and move them back a bit to knock the ibu's back a touch.

Latest posts

Back