First Recipe (BIAB) - How's it look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gingervitis

Reaction score
So I have two extract/special grain batches under my belt now and I want to take the next step without upgrading to an AG system. I read through Seven's no sparge BIAB tutorial and I think I can do it.

I used ProMash (evaluation - I'll probably be buying it). Here's the recipe I came up with:

9# US Pale 2-row (75%)
1# US Chocolate (8.3%)
1# Crystal 120 (8.3%)
1# Brown Sugar (8.3%)

1oz Kent Goldings @ 60min (25.6 IBUs)
1oz Kent Goldings @ 10min (5.1 IBUs)

WLP007 Dry English Ale

Est SRM: 34.7
Est IBU: 30.7
Est OG: 1.063

I know its a pretty basic recipe, but I love porters and I'm planning on building off this one to improve it. That being said, how do you guys think the grain bill and hop schedule looks? As far as no sparge BIAB efficiency goes, do you guys think it'll come out pretty close to what ProMash says as far as original gravity?

Edit - Also, at what time should I add the brown sugar?

I don't use Promash, but I do BIAB. You should be able to hit your OG. I'm still new at it, but in 2 batches I've overshot and undershot my OG. I was trying for 75% efficiency both times but got 70 & 80. The 70 was with a step mash, and I think that had more to do with it than using BIAB.

Personally I like using BIAB - I brew 6 gallon batches, and feel like I could go to 10 without too much trouble.

Seems that most people that use the BIAB method have pretty good efficiencies. Anyone want to comment on the grainbill/hop schedule?

I think it looks like a good porter recipe. It will be really dark those percentages of chocolate and crystal 120, but that's what you're going for. You say simple, but simple recipes usually work the best. The hop schedule looks good. And I would say just add the sugar with about 10 minutes left in the boil.

Also- I haven't used Promash, but I would recommend checking out Beer Smith. I think I heard somewhere that it is the only brewing software that is regularly updated and improved... although I could be wrong about that. I use it and give it big thumbs up.

Welcome to the world of BIAB!

Back