First recipe, any advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks fine thought it'll probably taste fairly simple, but if that's what your going for right on! I'd personally add a favorite spice or two that's appropriate for the style but that's just my food-for-thought :)

I agree with the Andrew that it might be simple. I think the recipe looks good but IMO adding different hops can add a little extra depth. I still think it looks like a good brew!

Recipe looks just fine. The biggest recommendation I would have is to record EVERYTHING about your process through the brew day (Temps, Eff %, Gravities, etc). This allows you to tweak your recipe accordingly by letting you compare your finished brew to the specifics of your process. The most frustrating part about recipe formulation is creating a characteristic and not being able to recreate/dispel it. But as first recipes go this looks simple and straightforward enough. Good luck! Sláinte!

Thanks guys. Simple is what I was going for, easier to tweak later without too many variables, and i have a pound of centennial hops.

Thanks guys. Simple is what I was going for, easier to tweak later without too many variables, and i have a pound of centennial hops.

If you have a pound of centennial, add some at 10 minutes! You have lots of bittering hops (FWH+ bittering= 2 ounces) but not as much in the late additions.

I really like a "layered" late hops schedule, like at 20/15/10/5/0/dryhopping. for more depth of flavor and aroma.

I'd change up the hops schedule a little, just to get more late hops in there.
Like this:
first wort 1.5 oz Centennial
1.0 Centennial boil 20 mins
1.0 Centennial15 mins
1.0 centennial 10 mins
1.0 centennial 5 mins
1.0 centennial 0 mins

dry hop 5-7 days 2.0 Centennial

I like an all-centennial IIPA!

Thanks Yooper, I'll give it a try. I really like more flavor and aroma hops and less bitterness, but was unsure how to hop it without underdoing the bitterness.

Thanks Yooper, I'll give it a try. I really like more flavor and aroma hops and less bitterness, but was unsure how to hop it without underdoing the bitterness.

You want a nice firm bitterness, but I think 1.5 ounces (FWH) is fine. I didn't calculate the IBUs, but I doubt they dropped significantly by reducing the addition a tad.

This recipe isn't that much different than the Stone Ruination clone, except I used magnum for bittering and not quite as many late hops. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/stone-ruination-clone-155771/

Centennial alone makes for a great hop profile. At what temperature are you planning on mashing? IMO you want IIPA to finish somewhat dry, a bit lower than 1.019 like your recipe is predicting. With wlp001 and a mash temp in the low 150's that shouldn't be a problem, just be sure to account for the increase in abv if that's of concern to you.

You want a nice firm bitterness, but I think 1.5 ounces (FWH) is fine. I didn't calculate the IBUs, but I doubt they dropped significantly by reducing the addition a tad.

This recipe isn't that much different than the Stone Ruination clone, except I used magnum for bittering and not quite as many late hops. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/stone-ruination-clone-155771/

Haha, your Ruination clone must have sunk into my subconscious. And the IBU calc is telling me 86.6 IBUs with the new schedule, so that should be plenty.

Centennial alone makes for a great hop profile. At what temperature are you planning on mashing? IMO you want IIPA to finish somewhat dry, a bit lower than 1.019 like your recipe is predicting. With wlp001 and a mash temp in the low 150's that shouldn't be a problem, just be sure to account for the increase in abv if that's of concern to you.

I'm planning on mashing at 150. I was actually hoping for it to be dry, but I don't think Beercalculus accounts for mash temps when it calculates attenuation. The FG prediction doesn't change when you change the mash temp on the process page.

I'm planning on mashing at 150. I was actually hoping for it to be dry, but I don't think Beercalculus accounts for mash temps when it calculates attenuation. The FG prediction doesn't change when you change the mash temp on the process page.

Yeah it just goes off of the standard yeast attenuation. Mashing at 150*F will be fine. Pitch enough yeast and it should be a great beer.

Back