First Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schooldude

Reaction score
Hi, this is my third batch and ran into an issue I can't find an answer to in the forums. On 3/14/15 I brewed a Brewers Best Kolsch. everything went picture perfect. OG was 1.044 witch in inline with instructions. (OG: 1.042 - 1.046,
FG: 1.010 - 1.013). I used Wyeast Kolsch 2565, it arrived cold like it should, I did not check the date though. Broke the activator and it sit for 4.5hrs before pitching. It barely swelled, which I have read is fine. As of today, 4 days later, I can see there has been movement in the airlock, but i sat there about 15 minutes and didn't see any. I know by reading the forums the only way to know is open and take a reading, my question is should that reading be heading twords the FG listed above and on the instructions. If it is not there can it sit till I can get more yeast in.
Thanks

Yes, it will fall. I imagine 4 days later it will be in the low 1.02 range or high 1.01 range. Take daily readings until it no longer changes. Since this is one of your first brews I wouldn't worry about repitching as long as you've got fermentation and a falling gravity reading

You didn't mention krausen, so I'm guessing you are fermenting in a bucket. Even if the you under pitched the yeast, your beer at OG of 1.044, is one large starter. Lag time may be longer, if the yeast is just propagating more cells as it would in a starter.
Lift the lid. You may find a good krausen. The CO2 being produced is escaping around the rim of the lid rather than through the airlock.
Sanitize the rim of the lid before opening.
Give the beer time. To early for a SG reading.

go ahead and open it up to check and see that some sort of krausen formed. if you don't see a brownish ring around the fermenter at the top of the beer, then you severely underpitched (due to a bad yeast pack, not your fault), and will need to repitch some yeast.
if you see the brown ring, or even still a krausen, then you've got fermentation going! just leave it alone for another week and a half and start checking your FG at that point. say, for example, check it on day 14, then wait until day 16 and check again, if it's the same reading, then you've completed fermentation, and it's time to package it!

but whatever you do, for the love of a currently uninfected beer, do not check the gravity every single day! you're just begging for contaminates at that point.

Thanks for all the answers, had to work late and won't do anything tonight. And yes it is fermenting in a pale and can't see krausen. it is down in my basement and the temp is, by the thermometer on the side, is running between 58 and 64. Tomorrow afternoon I will open it and get a reading. Her is a copy of what the readings should be from the instructions. The OG of 1.044 is in line with what the recommended was supposed to be. I'll post back results tomorrow.
Again thanks for all your help

Gravity.JPG

wanted to know if its normal for a cream to stop bubbling (in primary glass fermenter) after 5 days ?. Was going good for first 3 days now its basically stopped do i need to still leave it for another week like the kit recipe says or can I use the hydrometer and double check and bottle this weekend. Temp in my house where its stored is averaging about 72 degrees fahrenheit yeast was active when i pitched it
My last batch kept going for a few more days is why Im wondering? any advice on this would be great

wanted to know if its normal for a cream to stop bubbling (in primary glass fermenter) after 5 days ?. Was going good for first 3 days now its basically stopped do i need to still leave it for another week like the kit recipe says or can I use the hydrometer and double check and bottle this weekend. Temp in my house where its stored is averaging about 72 degrees fahrenheit yeast was active when i pitched it
My last batch kept going for a few more days is why Im wondering? any advice on this would be great

Look up your yeast's temperature range. I rarely see airlock activity after 5 days but that doesn't mean it is still slowly fermenting. Depending on your yeast, you want to start in the middle of it's temperature range as it generates a lot of heat the first 48 hours or so. After about day 5, you can bump up the temperature to about 75% of the yeast's temperature range. This will help wake up the yeast and encourage them to finish the job.

I would not check your gravity until day 14 or 15. Then again, two days later. If still stable, bottle/keg at day 21.

Patience is the key to good beer.

Thanks for all the answers, had to work late and won't do anything tonight. And yes it is fermenting in a pale and can't see krausen. it is down in my basement and the temp is, by the thermometer on the side, is running between 58 and 64. Tomorrow afternoon I will open it and get a reading. Her is a copy of what the readings should be from the instructions. The OG of 1.044 is in line with what the recommended was supposed to be. I'll post back results tomorrow.
Again thanks for all your help

wanted to add to my original thread so not to confuse with the added on.
I just got a reading of 1.016, that would lead to believe even though absolutely no seen activity, it is chugging along. Also wanted to add a quick pic.

2015-03-19 18.55.19.jpg

A lot of times you will not have a proper seal on your bucket unless you use a rubber mallet. Then you will need the lid removal tool to get it off. I always check by pressing the lid with my ear to the airlock to hear if there is a sound of a leak.

This is why you will see many people to not trust your airlock as signs of fermentation.

Looks like your krausen has not dropped yet.

yes I do use a small mallet ans lid tool. After sealing I always give a small push on the lid ad watch the airlock, this is how I learned from the guy that helped me when I got started. he said if there is not a good seal you cant push the water to the top of the airlock and get it to hold.
Once again thanks to all that helped with my first liquid yeast batch. Also the temp was 54 degrees.

I let the 2565 primary for 3 weeks than lager for 4weeks, I can only do ambient lagering so it takes longer but I am rewarded with a clear beer.

Latest posts

Back