First Porter Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grant-robison

Reaction score
This is a partial mash rendition of the Bert Grant Perfect Porter. The 1# of 2-row i'm sure has plenty of diastatic power to mash the dark malts. It is my first attempt at a recipe and I used Brewsmith to put it all together. Anything glaring that needs change?
I'm trying to work my way up to all grain. This is only my second batch of beer and i'm hooked.

6.00 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 65.2 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 10.9 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 10.9 %
1.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 10.9 %
0.10 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.1 %
0.10 lb Peat Smoked Malt (2.8 SRM) Grain 1.1 %
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50%] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 9.2 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50%] (15 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
10.00 gm Gypsum Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Well, it's not like it's orders of magnitude, just seems like a lot. That would put it about 200ppm SO4. I usually add around 2g each CaSO4 and CaCl2.

The last porter I brewed, I used all Willamette to 29 IBU and SO4 to 150ppm. In my tasting notes, I said I should go back to the previous batch's 46 IBU of Chinook (Willamette was too "flowery") and just 2g gypsum.

I've never had a primarily williamette hopped beer so i'm not sure what hops i really want to use. I'm really wondering if i should bother trying to mini-mash the dark malts or if i should just up the extract dose a little to replace fermentables and steep the darks for color. Does the mash process impart flavors or just fermentable sugar?

id just ditch the 2-row unless u want to use more of it. none of those other grains need to be mashed, simply steeping them will give you the color/flavor you want.

looks good to me, i would lower the Gypsum but other than that sounds yummy!

heres The revised recipe:

5# Light DME

mini-mash:
1# Pale 2 Row
.75# Caramel 120L
.75# Chocolate Malt
5oz Black Patent
1.5oz peat smoked
2 g gypsum

Hops:
0.50oz Nugget (60 min)
0.75oz Williamette (30 min)
0.25oz Fuggles (10 min) [just had it layin around.]
0.25oz Williamette (5 min)

Brewin this today. I'll be sure to review it later.

Back