First PM question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broncofish

Reaction score
Hi, new brewer here..... I have a question about a recipe I followed and ended up with a higher OG that expected, and an accidental deviation. Here is what I made (3rd batch) Questions are at the bottom.

(Took this off a forum and modified)
Type: Partial Mash
Date: 7/21/2008
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.08 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 55.6 %
1.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 11.1 %
1.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 11.1 %
0.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 5.6 %
45 min boil(accidentally added extra hops 30 minutes into it and panicked)
0.65 oz Hallartau @ 45 min (AA 3.8%)
0.35 oz Hallartau @ 15 min
3 tsp ground corriander @ 10 min
3 tsp Vallencia orange peel @ 10 min
1 fresh orange zest @ 10 min
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400)

Beer Profile(From the recipe, not mine)

Est Original Gravity: 1.058 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.8 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.9 %
Bitterness: 10.2 IBU Calories: 211 cal/pint
Est Color: 7.0 SRM Color: Color

My OG was 1.060 Mash time was 90 min @ 142-146 avg. My question is, why do I have a higher OG than I am supposed to? Also, how will the boil time and deviation of 15 less minutes in the boil affect the outcome. Thanks for the replies, I am still learning the lingo. I come from a micro/marine bio background and I love all the nerdy talk about beer!

I really don't think there is any difference between 1.060 and 1.058 in practical terms. If you boiled just a little harder, or crushed the grains a tiny bit more, or mashed a couple of minutes longer, or the extract was the tiniest bit more than a lb. then you could easily get 2 pts. Temperature and reading errors with the hydrometer can give you .002 difference. Unless you are talking > .005 difference, there is really nothing.

However, 75% is pretty decent efficiency for your first attempt, so congrats on that :)

The shorter boil time will mean less IBUs in the final beer but probably won't impact hop flavor or aroma (might increase them a bit). Since this looks like a wit, no big deal. The boil time wouldn't effect efficiency and it is hard to tell from this end if your efficiency was greater than 75%, since it seems like your volume at the end of boil was the same as predicted. You probably just boiled harder than the original recipe called for.

Back