First PM - low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradneal

Reaction score
Yesterday I did my first partial mash batch. It's a Norther Brewer Carmelite Triple-Grain Tripel, and as far as I could tell, all went according to plan. I sparged the grain through a mesh bag over a colander, and again, followed the instructions provided by NB pretty much to the letter. But when I did my OG reading, it came in at 1.066 instead of the targeted 1.081. A friend of mine had my refractometer, so I had to use my hdrometer, which I realize is not as accurate, but should be pretty close.

So anyway, other than lower alcohol, what affect will this lower OG have on the final product?

Thanks,
Brad

Bummer! But for future reference, should I have backed off on the water and only brought it up until I reached the desired OG instead of filling it to the 5 gallon mark first?

Also, what is the most likely cause of the lower OG (assuming that I did everything right)?

Thanks for the reply.
Brad

Bummer! But for future reference, should I have backed off on the water and only brought it up until I reached the desired OG instead of filling it to the 5 gallon mark first?

Also, what is the most likely cause of the lower OG (assuming that I did everything right)?

Thanks for the reply.
Brad

There's several things you could have done after measuring that your mini-mash had low yield.

(1) bump the gravity back into alignment with more extract
(2) make a smaller batch than the planned 5 gallons (this would require your to reduce the hop additions)
(3) make 5 gallons of a lighter beer and adjust hops to bring gravity:bitterness ratio back into alignment.

What was your recipe, anyway?

Here is a link to the ingredients. Also, I used a liquid yeast starter - Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/PM-CarmeliteTripel.pdf

This is really weird. If I leave out ALL of the grains listed for that kit and just plug the 6.3# of LME and 2# of corn sugar into ProMash, it yields 5 gallons of 1.063 wort.

That means that the 4.5 lbs of grain you used only added 0.003 gravity points. That's pretty much impossible.

I am suspect of your gravity reading now. :D

Was the wort temperature 138 degrees when you took the sample? That would throw off your hydrometer reading by the exact difference between 1.081 and 1.066

Hmmm... leaving out the 2# of corn sugar comes pretty close to the missing 15 gravity points, too.

You didn't forget that part, did you? :D

I don't understand why NB would suggest pouring sparge water over a strainer instead of just dunking the bag into the sparge water.

I'm also suspect of the thick mash. 5quarts for 4.5 pounds of grain is a bit thick. I would go with something like 2 gallons. Did you nail the mash temps at 152F for the hour?

I don't understand why NB would suggest pouring sparge water over a strainer instead of just dunking the bag into the sparge water.

I'm also suspect of the thick mash. 5quarts for 4.5 pounds of grain is a bit thick. I would go with something like 2 gallons. Did you nail the mash temps at 152F for the hour?

I mashed for 1 hour at 152 +/- a couple degrees, brought it up to 170, and then pulled the bag from the water and poured the sparge water (also at 170f) over the bag about one quart at a time.

Back