First Planned PM: Please check my Math and Procedures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yin_Yang

Reaction score
My conversions are based on the philosophy from: http://home.elp.rr.com/brewbeer/extract/pres.pdf

For my first PM I chose Lil' Sparky's Nut Brown Ale (AG recipe)

The original recipe is as follows:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.012
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
IBU: 22.7
Color: 16.3 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14

If you like nut browns, you'll love this one!

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.6 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 8.5 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 8.5 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.3 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.1 %
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 14.7 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Profile
Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Mash Grain Weight: 11.75 lb
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Sparge Water: 4.21 gal

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 14.69 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F 60 min

Here's my partial mash recipe:

4.5 lb Pale DME
2.25 lb Pale Malt (2-row) US
1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt
1 lb Oats, flaked
.5 lb Victory
.25 lb Chocolate

My planned process:

1. preheat cooler with boiling water, empty, and place grains in cooler
2. Bring 6.5 qts of water to 166-168F, pour into cooler
3. In a separate pot bring 6.25 qts of water up to 170F for sparging.
4. After 60 minutes, gently/slowly run the wort into a vessel, and gently pour contents back into cooler, to recirculate wort, until wort runs clear
5. When wort runs clear, slowly drain wort into brew pot
6. when the water gets very close to the grain bed, start ladeling in some of the sparge water, and run out the water into the brewpot a little at a time.
7. when all sparge water is exhausted, continue to empty the entire cooler.
8. After all the wort and water are in the brewpot, there should be about 3.25 gal of water in there. Add another 3.25 gal of clean water, to bring volume up to 6.5 gallons.
9. bring to a boil, and begin boil process
10. at last 15 minutes of boil, add DME to brewpot, turning off heat while adding, to avoid scorching..and continue the boil for last 15 min.
11. cool wort down in water/ice bath
12. splash wort into primary fermentor, aerate the wort as much as possible
13. pitch yeast..and seal.

If you have the ability to boil 6.5 gallons, what is your reason for doing a partial mash? Is your mashtun too small to handle all the grain? What kind of separation medium is install in your cooler? It sounds like you're doing the grain bag in an unmodified cooler. If that's the case, I'd recommend batch sparging it instead of fly like you describe. Deathbrewer has an illustrated thread showing the method.

true, my main concern is the price..but i guess i can just have 3.2 gal of clean preboiled water waiting in the primary, and i can pour the wort into that when it's finished w/ the boil and cool. thanks for pointing that out.

the cooler will be a modified cooler. I'm just following the procedure listed on that website i linked. it made no mention of grainbags, so i assumed it was loose grain on the floor of a modified cooler.

Under your planned process you wrote: "Slowly introduce grain bag to hot water, stir and bob it around" so that's what confused me.

Are you modifying the cooler with a stainless braid or a manifold?

The braid just lends itself to the batch sparge process while a false bottom or manifold is better for fly/continuous sparging. Check out the all grain primer in my sig for a little more info on the differences.

what are the water proportions for batch sparging?

Mash in at 1.25 qts/lb, sparge @ .5 gallons/lb. As Bobby will undoubtedly recommend, split your sparge into two equal volumes. For your grain bill, 7.5 (1.875 gallons)quarts at mash in, then do two sparges of 1.5 gallons each.

Definitely read Bobby's all grain primer, if you haven't already. Even better, print it out.

Back