First Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskram

Reaction score
I'm going to be making this recipe this weekend. I finally have a temp-controlled freezer I can do lagering in.

3.3 lbs. Gold Malt Extract
2 ½ lbs. German Pilsner Grain (cracked)
½ lbs. Lager Grain (cracked)
½ lbs. Belgian Aromatic Grain (cracked)
3 oz. Saaz Hops
½ oz. Saaz Hops
½ oz. Saaz Hops
1 pkg. Wyeast -2278 Czech Pils Yeast

Mash grains in 1½ gal. 160°F water for 60 min. Sparge with 1 gal. 170°F water. Return liquid to pot, add malt & 3 oz. Saaz & boil for 30 min. Add ½ oz. Saaz & boil 30 min. Remove from heat & add ½ oz. Saaz. Steep for 10 min. Strain into enough cold water to make 5 gal. & pitch yeast when 80°F or below. Ferment at 70°F or lower if possible.

Anything I should do differently?

I have a few n00b questions as well... The recipe doesn't have any lagering instructions. What kind of lagering schedule should I use? When do I add the yeast - after it's at temp, or pitch, wait for fermentation, then put in freezer?

Eskram, have you already bought your grains? If not, try tasting that belgian aromatic before you buy it . If it is strong to the taste it will be the same in the beer. I used aromatic once and apparently used too much.. 1lb in 10gal ..and it was overwhelming.

Yeah, I've already got them. They were cracked into the same bag as the rest of the grains, so I don't think I can try one.. lol

This is the recipe kit from my LHBS, so I hope they took that into consideration. I guess I'll find out tomorow how the wort tastes.

Ok, tard questions, round 2.

I got some good yeast on Monday, which I let do it's thing until last nite - the smack pack was fully inflated, so I went ahead and brewed the pilsner.

I added the yeast, and put it into my lagering fridge @58F around midnite. This morning at 9am, I noticed no activity, but I did see that there was sanitized water climbing up the blow off tube, so I pulled it off. In the process, I managed to dump a few ounces of sanitized water into the fermenter.

Tonite when I got home, there is still no activity at all. Did the sanitizing solution kill the yeast somehow or do lagers jsut take a bit longer to get going than ales? Normally, my ales are spewing and blowing crap out of the blowoff tube by now.

IIRC, the one lager I brewed did not 'take off' like a typical ale. It was a much slower, less violent fermentation. Maybe some others with more lager experience will chime in here.

Latest posts

Back