first partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djfake

Reaction score
Last week I found a 5 gal igloo cooler in my garage. Lightbulb went off and $35 dollars later I converted it to a mash tun, using a bazooka screen inside from Midwestern Brewer. I also ordered the partial mash Cascade Pale Ale kit from them. So here's what I plan on doing:

The kit has 5lbs of grain - 4lbs American 2 Row + 1/2 lb Carapils + 1/2lb Caramel. I'm a little confused on how much water to use for the mash. The kit calls for 1qt of water per lb of grain, in this case 5qts or 1.25 gals. (I've read that anywhere from 1-1.5 qts per lb is used).

Okay, so heat 5qts to about 165F, (11F degrees over the optimal mash temp), pour it into the cooler, add grains, and mix well. Cover and wait 60 min for the grain to mash.

After 60 min, I see two options:

1. No-Sparge: Bring 1.5 gals of water to 175F, add to the cooler, wait 5-10 minutes, then drain all the liquid off into the brew kettle, vorlaufing the first few quarts until clear. Top off the brewpot, add the additional extract, and proceed to boil.

2. Batch Sparge: Drain the first wort from the cooler into the brew kettle (vorlaufing the first few quarts). Heat 1.5 gals to 175F, add to the cooler, wait 5-10 minutes, then drain off into the brew kettle, again vorlaufing the first few quarts. Top off the brewpot, add the additional extract and proceed to boil.

Do I have it right? Should I use more water? Any other tips greatly appreciated.

I'd use 1.25 qt per lb, or 6.25 qt mash water. (It's easier to mix the grain with the water at 1.25 qt per lb, than with just 1 qt.)
Use a calculator http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml to estimate the required strike water temperature.
Heat the water about 10 degrees higher than the calculator says, and pour int into the cooler. Then wait until the temperature drops to the calculator value. (This warms up the cooler. If you don't do this you will have a low mash temperature.)
For the sparge, I'd choose option 2, but heat the water up to 180F. After adding the sparge water, stir really well before waiting the 5 - 10 minutes.

Good luck.

-a.

Thanks for the reply. I guess then I'd want to use 2 gallons sparge water (1.5 mash + 2 sparge = 3.5 gal). Is it possible to use too much sparge water?

I'd use 1.25 qt per lb, or 6.25 qt mash water.
Heat the water about 10 degrees higher than the calculator says, and pour int into the cooler. Then wait until the temperature drops to the calculator value.

For the sparge, I'd choose option 2, but heat the water up to 180F. After adding the sparge water, stir really well before waiting the 5 - 10 minutes.

Good luck.

-a.

Thanks for the reply. I guess then I'd want to use 2 gallons sparge water (1.5 mash + 2 sparge = 3.5 gal). Is it possible to use too much sparge water?

Indeed it is! You want to have no more than 3 quarts of water go through a pound of grain. Oversparging risks tannin extraction, so you'd be better to sparge no more than up to .5 gallons of water per pound of grain but even a little bit less would be better if you're mashing with 1.5 quarts per pound of grain!

Back