First partial mash imperial ipa-ish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oligarchy

Reaction score
Type: Partial mash Size: 5 gallons
Color: 429 HCU
Bitterness: 113 IBU
OG: 1.123 FG: 1.020
Alcohol: 13.3% v/v (10.5% w/w)
Grain: 5 lb. American 2-row
1 lb. American crystal 60L
1 lb. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
1.5 lb. American chocolate
1.5 lb. American black patent
1.5 lb. Roasted barley
1.5 lb. Flaked barley
Mash: 75% efficiency
Boil: minutes SG 1.103 6 gallons
8 lb. Light malt extract
Hops: 1 oz. Centennial (10.5% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Chinook (12% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Centennial (10.5% AA, 45 min.)
.5 oz. Chinook (12% AA, 45 min.)
.5 oz. Centennial (10.5% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Chinook (12% AA, 30 min.)
1 oz. Centennial (10.5% AA, 15 min.)
1 oz. Chinook (12% AA, 15 min.)
.5 oz. Centennial (aroma)
.5 oz. Chinook (aroma)
2 oz. Northern Brewer (aroma)

to me this seems pretty massive just from ibu and alch%, but this is my first attempt at making my own thing up. So if i just threw a monster pie in my own face, excuse me. :rockin:

as stated its partial mash, kinda confused on what needs to be mashed? 2row choco and roast mashed, rest steeped?

lot of malts i just saw in other recepies and imperials ive drank that listed ingredients.

hop sched. is off the wall, nother possible pie in my face.

i want this to be bitter, jet black, high alch. if somthing is massively wrong please let me know! other comments, critiques, suggestions, snide comments are all welcome.

off to drink some Ballast Point Deep Sea Monster IRS

The only grains there that need to be mashed are the 2row and the flaked barley. Everything else is either already converted or so roasted (burnt) that there is hardly any convertible starches left and can be steeped.

That's a lot of roasted malts and the roast astringency will compete against the hop bitterness. If you want a hoppy bitter with a black color, I'd go with color addition of fine ground black barley or huskless carafa III to get an "Imperial" Shwartzbeer-ish brew. As stands, IMO, it's going to be way too roasty.

I'd look for a clone recipe of Rouge Shakespeare Stout for a hoppy American C hop stout with a good roasty bite and go from there or the Dec08 BYO article on the Stone beers.

Well, I can't I've ever seen or heard of a jet black IIPA. I don't know exactly what you're going for but IIPAs are generally in the deep copper range for color. And this is just me, but I don't think chocolate malt, black patent or roasted barley have any place in an IIPA. I would cut those out entirely. I would also drop down to Crystal 20L to make sure the color is in style.

Also, you're OG is way high for an IIPA, but again, I don't know exactly you're going for, so if that's it, then more power to ya. I don't know where you're getting 1.123 from, though. BeerSmith put this grain bill at 1.082 OG (with the dark malts. without it is 1.077 which still good), which is in the range for IIPA.

As for what needs to be mashed, everything in your grain bill except the 2-row and the flaked barley can be steeped, but I generally just mix my steeping grains in with the mashing grains anyway, so it's not a big deal. For an IIPA, I like your hop schedule, but I would throw a couple ounces of Cascade or Amarillo (or both) in for dry hopping.

I hope this was at least a little helpful and if I totally missed the mark on what you are trying to accomplish, I sincerely apologize.

I'm not a black patent fan at all, and not too wild about chocolate malt but 1.5 pounds of each is a boat load of it. Too much roasted barley, too. I think that this combo would taste like an ashtray, even with all those hops.

It seems like you've got an interesting combo here- the beginnings of an imperial stout, but hopped like an IPA. I think it sounds like a good idea in a way- but I think that all the dark malts wouldn't mix with the hops very well.

How about making too very different beers- an imperial stout with a similar grain bill (cutting back on some of those acrid dark malts) and also an IPA with those hops?

Also, keep in mind that you won't get a FG as low as 1.020 as you have listed. Depending on what yeast you use, you'll probably end up in the 1.030s or so, leaving you with high alcohol and quite a bit of residual sweetness. Most ale yeast strains aren't going to go below about 1.040 in this recipe. Then, if you're not kegging, you'll have a heck of a time trying to get it to carbonate. Some people who make big beers like this pitch champagne yeast in secondary to bring the FG down, and then it may carb up in the bottle.

Well, I can't I've ever seen or heard of a jet black IIPA. I don't know exactly what you're going for but IIPAs are generally in the deep copper range for color. And this is just me, but I don't think chocolate malt, black patent or roasted barley have any place in an IIPA. I would cut those out entirely. I would also drop down to Crystal 20L to make sure the color is in style.

Also, you're OG is way high for an IIPA, but again, I don't know exactly you're going for, so if that's it, then more power to ya. I don't know where you're getting 1.123 from, though. BeerSmith put this grain bill at 1.082 OG (with the dark malts. without it is 1.077 which still good), which is in the range for IIPA.

As for what needs to be mashed, everything in your grain bill except the 2-row and the flaked barley can be steeped, but I generally just mix my steeping grains in with the mashing grains anyway, so it's not a big deal. For an IIPA, I like your hop schedule, but I would throw a couple ounces of Cascade or Amarillo (or both) in for dry hopping.

I hope this was at least a little helpful and if I totally missed the mark on what you are trying to accomplish, I sincerely apologize.

i built this in tasty brews, did u miss the 8 pounds of light in there? ill recheck it to make sure.

yea i wasnt really going for a specifically style just blending things from other beers ive made that i really liked. a smorgasbord so to speak.

I'm not a black patent fan at all, and not too wild about chocolate malt but 1.5 pounds of each is a boat load of it. Too much roasted barley, too. I think that this combo would taste like an ashtray, even with all those hops.

It seems like you've got an interesting combo here- the beginnings of an imperial stout, but hopped like an IPA. I think it sounds like a good idea in a way- but I think that all the dark malts wouldn't mix with the hops very well.

How about making too very different beers- an imperial stout with a similar grain bill (cutting back on some of those acrid dark malts) and also an IPA with those hops?

Also, keep in mind that you won't get a FG as low as 1.020 as you have listed. Depending on what yeast you use, you'll probably end up in the 1.030s or so, leaving you with high alcohol and quite a bit of residual sweetness. Most ale yeast strains aren't going to go below about 1.040 in this recipe. Then, if you're not kegging, you'll have a heck of a time trying to get it to carbonate. Some people who make big beers like this pitch champagne yeast in secondary to bring the FG down, and then it may carb up in the bottle.

what strain do u suggest u use? im seeing people using WL 001 in a lotta high grav stouts so im leaning towards that?

what strain do u suggest u use? im seeing people using WL 001 in a lotta high grav stouts so im leaning towards that?

With that yeast, you may get 75% attenuation, or up to 11% ABV. It might go down to 1.040 or so with that yeast.

I'd rethink this recipe a bit- it might be ashy, acrid, "hot" from the high alcohol, bitter, hoppy and sweet.

honestly, in a 5g batch, you never need more than about 4-6 oz at MOST of black patent malt. And I wouldn't use more than about 8-12 oz of chocolate malt. More than that and your beer will not taste too good.

And I agree on the classification, more of a imperial stout than an IIPA.

But hey, if you don't mind spending the money on ingredients, do what you want! Just be aware that it may not come out at ALL how you think it will.

yea im def. going to cut down the grain bill a bit. wasnt quite sure how much i really need to get what flavors and color i want

reducing my steeing grains by a quarter or half for some of them.

its been recommended to me to use a high gravity yeast for this to get the most fermentation outta this thing, is this a good route to go?

I made an experimental IPAish recipe not too long ago. I used a couple lbs of Munich and 4oz of Chocolate malt, mostly for some added color. I cracked the first last night, its not carbed yet and still a bit green, but I think its going to be very good in a month or 3.

I would encourage you to experiment, but maybe change up your methodology a bit. Take a recipe you like (or looks good) and tweak it a little with one or maybe 2 differences. The shotgun approach you seem to be going with here may end up disappointing. Then again, it may be awesome. Yeah, on second thought, there is probably a reason no recipes I have seen have that much black patent and roasted in a recipe.

If you do end up making it and it sucks you could just seal the driveway with it. :D

Here's a modified grain bill that should be a bit more palatable, but still be black and high gravity. Also some simple sugars to help get your final gravity down and a drier finish. You should be able to mash pretty low and still have a good amount of body with all that carapils and flaked barley. I removed the black patent because you have a lot going on with the chocolate and roasted barley. If you decide to use it, keep it between 1/4 and 1/2 lb. If you are bottle carbing go with the high gravity ale yeast. If kegging and force carbing, I think 2 packets of US-05 should be sufficient.

6# Light DME
5# 2-row
1.5# Cane sugar
1# Carapils
.75# Chocolate malt
.5 Flaked barley
.25 Roasted barley

creepy, thats exactly the numbers on my revised bill, minus the cane, more 2row and a bit more LME

thanks all for the help!

Back